The Old Stone House is considered to be the oldest standing building in Washington, D.C Located on the heart of Georgetown at 3051 M Street, NW Washington, D.C. Built on 1765, the Old Stone House was used both as a residence and a place of business until the 1950's when it was purchased and renovated by the National Park Services. Today, the house is 85% original to its 18th century construction which commemorates the lives of ordinary American citizens.
Considered to be an example of vernacular architecture, the house was mostly built locally available resources. Its walls are made from granite and stones which are quarried on the nearby Potomac River, as well as ballast stones. The lumbers that were used are mostly from oak trees which were harvested from the forest of Georgetown.
The first floor of the house and front door was constructed entirely of solid oak. The walls and fireplace are made of stones that were stacked by a mortar. The actual kitchen?s fireplace is big enough to produce enough heat for the entire house.
The design of the second floor varies considerably from the ground floor. Three rooms are in this floor, the parlor, a bedroom and dining room. The high ceiling in the hallway provides ventilation during hot summers. The walls on this floor were painted and plastered. In the dining room, a 19th-century clock can be seen and believed to be the only original furniture left in the house.
The house?s third floor was considered a private sanctuary. It was made entirely of brick and was completed around 1790. It is much simpler than the first two floors with its incomplete panels and paints on its walls. Three rooms are on this floor, which are believed to be a room for children and a place for storage.
Located behind the house is an English garden, filled with roses and fruit trees and was bordered with a white fence. The garden is used mostly for simple wedding ceremonies and a place for lunch and rest for tourists and guests.