In 1898, a Civil War veteran, Charles C. Hemming donated a significant Confederate Monument to the Hemming Plaza. This monument symbolizes Florida?s contribution to the Civil War. And so the year after, the plaza was renamed Hemming Park. It is now considered as Jacksonville?s oldest park and the Confederate Monument, the city?s oldest and tallest.
Hemming Park now contains bandstands, fountains, comfort stations and buildings. It has become very fitting for both the locals and the tourists. Over the years, Hemming Park has transformed from being just a park to a suitable place for trade and leisure.
The park never lost its relaxing ambience. Because alongside these establishments are many beautiful trees that bring fresh air and shade for everyone who visits. The plaza?s brick pavements surely add to its appeal and compliment well the numerous greens. Today, people also go here to hang out, shop, unwind or take pictures.