The Sunken Gardens is a public park and botanical gardens in St. Petersburg, Florida. It features a 4 acre garden that is thought to be one of the oldest commercial tourist attractions on the west coast area of Florida.
The Sunken Gardens traces its roots back to 1903 when it was established by the avid gardener and professional plumber George Turner Sr. It became a sunken garden after Turner drained the shallow lake that was once in the site and transformed it as such. A nursery was opened by the 1920s and it sold plants, vegetables, roses, and other kinds of plants. The nursery was initially opened to the public for a nickel and then the entire gardens followed suit by 1935 for an admission fee of 25 cents. The site grew popularity that by the mid 1900s, it became one of the top ten commercial attractions in Florida.