Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alabama
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2010, 01:07 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Los Angeles, California
Please give me one good reason to visit Alabama

I would like to plan a tour of the U.S.A.
Would you help me decide where to go by giving us one good reason to visit your State.
Thanks

Old 09-09-2010, 05:59 AM  
I Need Beach Season NOW!

Daphne, Alabama
Why You should Visit Alabama

OK, I will start in the Northwest Corner of the state and work down. Near Muscle Shoals Alabama is the birthplace and home of Helen Keller; I think we all know her story. In the north central part of the state is Huntsville. There you will find the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center. This is part of the NASA network. Also located there is the Marshall Space Flight Center; this is where the R&D work was done on the Saturn V rockets that sent the first men to the moon. NASA still uses the Marshall site to test the engines for all shuttle flights.

In the Northeast part of the state near Gadsden is Noccalula Falls (gee, i hope spelling is correct). Very beautiful site; legend has it that Princess Noccalula jumped to her death at the falls, because her father, an Indian Chief was about to force her to marry a brave that she didn't like and would not let her marry the brave she loved.

South of Gadsden is Anniston, AL and near Anniston is Mt. Cheha State Park (highest point in the state). Yes, we do have mountains in Alabama. They are not as tall as the mountains in Cali., but just as steep. I should know; I grew up in the mountains of Alabama and worked for the U.S. Forest Service on the Sierra National Forest just outside Yosemite N.P. When I lived in Cali. I found that most people there knew very little about Alabama. We have mountains, forest, plains, and beaches. Now back on subject.

In Birmingham you will find the Vulcan; a statue dedicated to the steel industry of Birmingham, it is second in size only to the statue of Liberty. In Montgomery is the Alabama Shakespeare Festival Theatre. A very beautiful facility that features some of the best Shakespearian actors in the country. I have seen several performances over the years and never been dissappointed. Even caught a rare performance of MacBeth.

Then of course on the coast we have the fantastic sugar white beaches of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. In Mobile you can tour the U.S.S. Alabama, a WW II battleship or you can visit the Mardi Gras Museum. Oh yea, Mobile is the birthplace of the Mardi Gras celebration in North America ( not New Orleans).

All I have time for right now; hope this helps

Old 09-09-2010, 09:28 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Los Angeles, California
Wow!
Alabama is going on the must see list
Thank you
Old 09-09-2010, 09:57 AM  

I spent 3 weeks stationed out of Montgomery, Alabama, when I was working with the Red Cross just after Hurricane Katrina. It truely is a beautiful state, rich in history. I especially enjoyed the history of Rosa Parks and the Civil Rights Movement near Montgomery, Alabama. Well worth another trip, just not after a devastating hurricane!
Old 09-09-2010, 12:13 PM  
I Need Beach Season NOW!

Daphne, Alabama
SHHHHHH; don't mention the "H" word until at least October
Old 09-09-2010, 12:40 PM  

Why not? I'm on call, standing by, as a first responder for the ARC. It's hard work but is great to help those in need and very rewarding!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:54 PM  

Mobile, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Why not? I'm on call, standing by, as a first responder for the ARC. It's hard work but is great to help those in need and very rewarding!
because i dont want my house to disappear!!! or the island i spend most of my time on(Dauphin Island) to blow away

No doors- you forgot about the sugar white beaches of Dauphin Island

To add to the list: Alabama has 3 of the oldest covered bridges in the US, 11 total in AL.

In Blue Springs, AL there is the Conecuh National Forest
Old 09-10-2010, 05:58 AM  
I Need Beach Season NOW!

Daphne, Alabama
Quote:
Freakinheep is correct; we do not wish to undergo the hardship and PIA that comes along with a Hurricane. I appreciate your desire and willingness to help those in need; however, we do not want to be in "NEED". I spent almost 20 years as a Fire Fighter and I know the rewards of helping people. Hurricanes are not fun when you are the one without electricity, running water, or phone for weeks. IT SUCKS.

So, if you don't mind, we will keep praying that we get through another season without boarding up the house; cleaning out the grocery store; and making Home Depot stock go up
Old 09-10-2010, 08:29 AM  

I agree 100%...just be aware there are many here to help if or when it's needed!
Old 09-10-2010, 01:36 PM  
I Need Beach Season NOW!

Daphne, Alabama
Quote:
I agree 100%...just be aware there are many here to help if or when it's needed!
Thank You!! Thats is part of what makes America Great! Our willingness to help others, even though we do not know them.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alabama
Bookmark this Page!