Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alabama
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2010, 01:12 AM  

Huntsville, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post
I don't think you will have any problems. Many areas of the south are much more cosmopolitan than they were in days gone by. The South hosts many large military bases that bring people of all backgrounds through the area. Major cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, and Miami are true melting pots. I think most people are willing to judge a person by the character they display and portray. However, if you dress like a street corner dope dealer or a redneck biker, people will react accordingly.

There are still some racial animosities and distrust in the South as they are everywhere. We live in a multicultural society and there is friction between cultures and it works in all directions. A quick glance at crime statistics and the evening news is enough to make many white people fear blacks. A remembrance of civil rights history is enough to make some black people angry at whites. However, most people try to get along and go the extra mile to be polite.

Well said Gator.

Tim

Old 12-14-2010, 11:24 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntersdad View Post

Maybe blucher should expect more of the great people of NYC. Just my opinion.

Tim Hamilton

Bagram Air Field, Afghanistan

Odd you point at NYC. It's the biggest melting pot in the US. A day spent walking around Manhattan is a mini-tour of the sights and cooking smells of the world.I spent a good deal of time there when dating a psychiatric nurse.

I've also spent time in Mississippi and Louisiana that contrasted starkly with other areas I've visited.

I read Gator's reply before writing this and I'll defer to his experiences and well phrased post.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:42 PM  

Huntsville, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Odd you point at NYC. It's the biggest melting pot in the US. A day spent walking around Manhattan is a mini-tour of the sights and cooking smells of the world.I spent a good deal of time there when dating a psychiatric nurse.

I've also spent time in Mississippi and Louisiana that contrasted starkly with other areas I've visited.

I read Gator's reply before writing this and I'll defer to his experiences and well phrased post.
I agree 100%. Great city. My only point was that there is more racial tensions there than in the south (in my opinion). I realize that there are more people in NYC than in the whole state of AL, but there are attacks on Muslims, whites, blacks, Asians, etc there than in the whole state of Alabama also.

But let's face it: everywhere still has a long way to go to get to a point when a black or white person is not discriminated against.

tlh
Old 12-15-2010, 12:13 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntersdad View Post
But let's face it: everywhere still has a long way to go to get to a point when a black or white person is not discriminated against.tlh
Sad that it takes what seems like forever. I moved from the East Coast to Oregon a few years ago and discovered an entire state that's essentially a melting pot.
Up the road the next town is largely Russian & Mexican. The Russians are called "Old Believers" and were chased out of Russia a hundred years back. A tornado hit a town across the river yesterday and most of the TV News interviews were with various Asians & Polynesians.
I love it and each week I discover new things to learn about this state's people.

By the way, could you ask your Tigers to take it easy on my ducks plumage next month?
potential racism in the south-ducks-mascott.jpg 

Old 12-15-2010, 05:29 PM  

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Ask your girlfriend if every person in Oregon is a coffee-drinking Hipster. Ask her if every person in New Jersey is a 'roided-up, fist-pumping moron. Ask her if every person in Cali is a liberal surfer, if every person in Nebraska is a corn farmer, and if every person in Hawaii is a hula dancing, pig-roasting Luau host.

When she replies "no" to every one of those questions, then you can ask her "Why are you generalizing an entire region on a stereotype?"
Old 12-15-2010, 07:57 PM  

birmingham al., alabama
Some people are racist here, I'm not gonna lie. way, way more people are racist in Europe, and the northern US then here though, at least in my experience. and i dont think anyone would be racist against a filipino person. you really have to go out and look for the racists to find them. i think what 7bars said is the best reply yet.

ps: war eagle!!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 08:11 PM  
Mod Medic

Loxley, Alabama
From my experience If your a white male you descriminate against more than anyone.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:31 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bars View Post
When she replies "no" to every one of those questions, then you can ask her "Why are you generalizing an entire region on a stereotype?"
Profiles | Southern Poverty Law Center
Old 12-16-2010, 11:52 AM  

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Your point?
Old 12-16-2010, 12:11 PM  

BM, AL
If you coming to the beaches of the Gulf, Then come on down. We have the most beautiful sandy beaches and the people down here will treat you nice.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alabama
Bookmark this Page!