Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alabama
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2011, 08:33 PM  

Thinking of Moving to Alabama

My wife and I have both retired at a very young age, under 40. We would like to move to a warmer climate but she said Florida is out of the question. I don't know much about Alabama so any input would be great. We are looking for about 5 acres and at least 30+ miles away from any major cities. We are tired of the suburbs and need a simple home with privacy. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:03 AM  
Supporting Member

Krum, Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_techcrash View Post
My wife and I have both retired at a very young age, under 40. We would like to move to a warmer climate but she said Florida is out of the question. I don't know much about Alabama so any input would be great. We are looking for about 5 acres and at least 30+ miles away from any major cities. We are tired of the suburbs and need a simple home with privacy. Thank you in advance for any advice.
Have you checked out Texas ??

I am on 4 acres, 15 miles outside of a larger city (Denton). No State income tax. Very mild, short, winters.

Picture below taken around March 2009..

Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 AM  

Al
I live in Opelika, Al in a little community called Beauregard. There are several tracks of land in the rural community and a great place to live. We have 5 acres and it takes us about twenty minutes to get to the closest large store, small community stores scattered about in Beauregard. Auburn, Al is the home of Auburn University and has some of the highest rated schools in the state, if you have kids or grandkids who might attend.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:04 AM  

Son most likely going into military soon and daughter, well I'll leave it at that. That sounds like a semi-remote area. Thanks, I'll take a look.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:24 AM  

Huntsville, AL
You would hate it here. Stay up north.

In reality, you can pick any city in AL, then drive 30 miles in any direction and find exactly what you're talking about. It just depends on where in AL you want to live. In the north and east-central, we have mountains (well, baby mountains), and in the south it is much more flat with lots of farmland.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:47 PM  

North = SNOW

I don't mind it on occasion but every winter as I get older it seems to be more and more a pita. I am a retired Police Officer and I enjoy my space. I like people but on my terms. With the weather, urban sprawl getting worse, and major increase in taffic around here I am affaid something bad could happen.

I'm planning to come down in few months to drive around and check out a few areas.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:11 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_techcrash View Post
North = SNOW
Actually, there really isn't much snow. I just moved back to New England (my home) from Birmingham. If you're from the north, Alabama winter is easy to deal with.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:06 AM  

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
I have lived in a few differant areas of the country. The one I miss the most is Tuscaloosa,Alabama. It's really nice there and the people are nice to. Winters are mild. But there are rather big rain and wind storms there that disrupt electric service. Most people own their own generators to keep the necessities running when this happens.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:48 PM  

Pensacola, Florida
Check out Fairhope, Al. It is on Mobile Bay, and it is about as south in Alabama you can go. Great place to live.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:17 PM  

Check out Centre AL, 30 mins from 3 mid size cities and a little over an hr from Atlanta, Birmingham, and Chattanooga.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alabama
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.