Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2010, 07:44 PM  

Miami, FL
Americas 2011 - Highest point

I will do an expedition next year and need an opinion from you guys upnorth. To go from Seatle to Anchorage, is it better to go by ferry to Haines and then driving or is there enough good things to see that justify ride all the way through British Columbia?

Old 10-01-2010, 09:19 PM  

The big village, Alaska
I don't know seems like 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other. I went up the Casiar(?) Hwy when I was younger, if you like mountains it'll be a scenic drive. Never been to Haines.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:49 AM  

Anchorage, Anchorage, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizoo View Post
I will do an expedition next year and need an opinion from you guys upnorth. To go from Seatle to Anchorage, is it better to go by ferry to Haines and then driving or is there enough good things to see that justify ride all the way through British Columbia?
If I were you, I'd fly. The trip is only 3 to 3.5 hours (depending on conditions) by jet. Way faster than boat or car.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:05 PM  

Miami, FL
I can't go by jet because it is a car expedition, I will depart from Miami, go north to Prudhoe Bay, AK and then south to Ushuaia, Argentina. My options are driving or ferry.
I will make a post about the trip here but if you want a sneak preview take a look at joa150.com.br/americas2011 it is not finished yet but the maps with the route and some stuff more are already there.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:39 PM  

Quote:
I can't go by jet because it is a car expedition, I will depart from Miami, go north to Prudhoe Bay, AK and then south to Ushuaia, Argentina.
You could fly your car up on a cargo plane. You'd need to have a good budget though.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:23 PM  

Miami, FL
Didn't even know it was easy to find a cargo plane to fly the car there, but anyway, what's the fun?? To do so I could just fly and rent a car there...
Old 10-05-2010, 10:13 PM  

Quote:
Didn't even know it was easy to find a cargo plane to fly the car there
It's easy to find a solution to anything if you throw enough money at the problem. Just ask the government....

Quote:
but anyway, what's the fun??
To get there?

Quote:
To do so I could just fly and rent a car there...
I'd advise against. Renting cars up here can be pretty expensive and the companies almost always have exclusions that make it a violation of your agreement to drive anywhere interesting.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:37 PM  

The big village, Alaska
Drive up and take the ferry back down, save some wear and tear on your rig and see more of this awesome state then most who live here.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:34 AM  

Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug-N-AK View Post
Drive up and take the ferry back down, save some wear and tear on your rig and see more of this awesome state then most who live here.
Hi Doug, my initial plan was the opposite, I love driving but believe that ferry ride should be something awesome. Any special reason you say to drive up and ferry down?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:50 AM  

Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterBoarder View Post
It's easy to find a solution to anything if you throw enough money at the problem. Just ask the government....

To get there?

I'd advise against. Renting cars up here can be pretty expensive and the companies almost always have exclusions that make it a violation of your agreement to drive anywhere interesting.
Agreed, but since I don't have a problem, I am not looking for solutions, but advices to help me make a good decision car/ferry, airplanes are out of the equation. Have you seen the map with the route of this trip?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!