Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2011, 10:37 PM  

Tallahassee, Florida
Best time of Year to drive to Prudhoe Bay

So, lets say I'd one day like to drive from Florida to Prudhoe Bay Alaska sometime within the next 3-4 years. Id make some mandatory stops in some national parks along the way, but the ultimate destination is Prudhoe Bay.

What time of the year is the best for such an expedition. It would be done in a Jeep with a trailer and roof top tent. What are some things to be concerned with when making the long trek north?

Thanks,
Nikolai

Old 01-19-2011, 02:32 PM  

Kodiak, Alaska
I'd say the fall...but even in August you need to be concerned about below freezing temps and snow.

Summer is obviously the most popular time of the year.

Do your homework re: Prudhoe, because you can't actually drive to that point. It's all private property. To actually "take a dip" in the Arctic Ocean, you have to pay 40-50 bucks a person to take a tour on the oilfields.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
That and make sure your Jeep is in good running order and you have a tool kit and some basic spare parts for stuff that's most likely to go wrong.

Getting stuck in a very isolated area is a real pain in the neck.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:32 PM  

Waconia, MN
Just the thought of my Jeep breaking down in Alaska scares me. But what an incredible trip that would be!
Old 01-21-2011, 02:34 PM  

Anchorage, Alaska
The haul road

I drove the haul road two falls ago, and took lots of pictures, including Polar Bears. Here is a link to my flickr site where the shots are. The shot posted is the first shot in the trip and runs backwards to the last shot. I wrote a little story about the trip as captions if interested.
THE TRIP BEGINS! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:11 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Those pictures are very nice!! You should post one here http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/off...iends%94-5350/ and here http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/off...yourself-4512/
Old 01-26-2011, 03:54 PM  

Fairbanks, Alaska
Road trip.

If you are planning on driving from Florida to Prudhoe Bay and you plan on stopping at the different parks and scenic sites you should plan on being on the road for about 2 months. The best time to start would be in May. That way when you get to Fairbanks the weather will be great and the drive to Prudhoe Bay will be long. Remember the extra 5 gallon gas cans because there are not very may places to get gas on the road to Prudhoe Bay. Have good insurance because you WILL need a new windshield after your trip! Make sure you have new tires too because the trip can cause you some problems there too.

The voice of experience.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 AM  

Shuswap, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfausmith View Post
If you are planning on driving from Florida to Prudhoe Bay and you plan on stopping at the different parks and scenic sites you should plan on being on the road for about 2 months. The best time to start would be in May. That way when you get to Fairbanks the weather will be great and the drive to Prudhoe Bay will be long. Remember the extra 5 gallon gas cans because there are not very may places to get gas on the road to Prudhoe Bay. Have good insurance because you WILL need a new windshield after your trip! Make sure you have new tires too because the trip can cause you some problems there too.

The voice of experience.
+1 carry lots of extra gas, and at least 2 or 3 spare tires.
Food & water for a couple days incase your out somewhere lost or whatever for a few days.
Its beautiful, and well worth the trip, but fairly remote.
I have not been there in 11 years though, so maybe more facilities by now.
I would suggest you be there in July. If you can't do July, then first half of august, or late June.
Take good bug repellant, say deep woods off, or muskol.
If tenting, it must have a good bug proof door, not a cheapie with gaps even when zipped up.
The bugs were the worst part, BIG, and relentless.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:54 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
What kind of tire problems are we talking here?
Are you saying one spare and a good plug kit and compressor wouldn't be enough?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:54 PM  

The big village, Alaska
Put matching tires on your trailer and carry two spares.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.