Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 PM  

Omaha, Ne
Cruise

Alaska is the Only state i have not been to. I'm trying to convince the wife to go on a cruise next summer but she wants to go some place warmer. Alaska in the summer is Awesome. What ever it takes ill be there soon.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:46 AM  

The Alaska Cruise was the best cruise I've been on. We went in June, and only needed a waterproof windbreaker, because we encountered lots of rain. Great scenery with very friendly people!

Consider the extended inland tour to Denali...well worth the additional price.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:50 AM  
Chi Town

addison, il
What cruise lines did you use? and why would you recommend?
Old 10-09-2010, 09:16 AM  

We chose Celebrity Cruise Line. It's a few bucks more, but generally has a better customer satisfaction rating than the other choices. I had no complaints at all except I didn't like leaving my luggage outside my door on the land package portion. There were horrible rains that evening and it got our suitcases soaked.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:19 AM  

Sammamish, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
We chose Celebrity Cruise Line. It's a few bucks more, but generally has a better customer satisfaction rating than the other choices. I had no complaints at all except I didn't like leaving my luggage outside my door on the land package portion. There were horrible rains that evening and it got our suitcases soaked.
Did you go from Seattle?

Celebrity takes off from Pier 66, near where I work at Pier 69. Summer on the waterfront is always fun with 3 cruise ships in port on Fridays.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:30 AM  

Yes, that is where we started.

I bet it would be fun to watch a quiet little community explode when the cruise ship arrives, and just as quick, subside when the ship leaves. I'm sure some of the local folks get irritated with this ebb and flow, but must be great for the economy of the community.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:31 PM  

Sammamish, WA
It may be that some of those small towns in Alaska can only afford to exist because of the cruise lines.

In the Seattle area during the 2009 cruise season 32 million dollars resulted
from cruise and related businesses. The 2010 figures are not in yet, the last
ship just left a week ago. We do expect a dropoff next season though, as some of the cruise lines are planning to reduce Alaskan cruises and do more in Europe.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:28 PM  

I've also see a huge influx of new routes around Europe. I myself just booked a 12 day cruise to Spain, Italy, Croatia, etc. cruise for early next year. With all the latest travel warnings, my wife is really paranoid and would rather return to Alaska, but I'm not going to allow those radical idiots to stop my plans.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:58 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Quote:
I've also see a huge influx of new routes around Europe. I myself just booked a 12 day cruise to Spain, Italy, Croatia, etc. cruise for early next year. With all the latest travel warnings, my wife is really paranoid and would rather return to Alaska, but I'm not going to allow those radical idiots to stop my plans.
I haven't heard of the Somalian pirates attacking a cruise ship yet.

That has to be a really nice cruise for you, enjoy it!

if you remember post a few pictures when you get back.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:13 PM  

Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:

I'd stowaway on a boat from Deadliest Catch
to go to Alaska!

One day we will get there for a vacation. (maybe permanent)

Hopefully you can talk your wife in to the trip.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!