Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2010, 10:45 AM  

Detroit, Michigan
Getting paid to live in Alaska

I have a couple of questions.

Is it true you can get paid to live in Alaska?
If so how much?
How long do you have to be a resident?
Is it the entire state?

I'm considering a move soon, I love the idea of Alaska, the last frontier and all.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:01 PM  

Chugiak/Eagle River, AK
Yes, it's true you get a Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD) every October for every person in the State who has lived there in the calendar year. I think it was 1,100 this year, but it varies depending on the earnings from the States oil. They have a website State of Alaska - Permanent Fund Dividend Division
I wouldn't go up just for thee free money though, it is an expensive place to live. Beautiful though, and one of my favorite places especially in late Summer and Fall.

Best of luck to you!

Old 11-04-2010, 03:18 PM  

Wasilla, Alaska
Getting paid to live in Alaska

Yes, but consider it a rebate, because the fuel costs are much higher here than the lower 48. Gas is 40-50 cents a gallon more. Groceries are higher and travel is very high--it's a 4 hour plane ride to Seattle.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:56 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Eh, the gas prices are only a bit higher than California, and are cheaper than Hawaii, so it's kind of right in between. If you're coming from the midwest or somewhere around there, though, it's definitely going to be a huge jump.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 11-05-2010, 02:21 AM  

The big village, Alaska
Not quite true Jake, several times this last year Hawaii's had cheaper gas, strange seeing that we refine our own. The dividends don't cover the extra cost of living nor are they supposed to.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:32 AM  

The big village, Alaska
Right now the cheapest gas in Honolulu is 3.29. While in Anchorage it's 3.30 according to gasbuddy.com.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:52 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Ahh yes about the same then - my bad. I just went on the gas prices down the street from me here in Honolulu.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:57 AM  

Fort Worth, Texas
Wow, must be torture....

Livin' there in Hawaii and all... IF< i had to choose Alaska Or Hawaii I would have to choose Hawaii simply because of ALL THE women you guys have!... I scratched Alaska off of my list after I heard that bears weren't that cuddly?? ..and Palin.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:50 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Haha, if I were single it'd be heaven!

Old 11-14-2010, 12:16 AM  

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootspur View Post
Livin' there in Hawaii and all... IF< i had to choose Alaska Or Hawaii I would have to choose Hawaii simply because of ALL THE women you guys have!... I scratched Alaska off of my list after I heard that bears weren't that cuddly?? ..and Palin.
Bootspur, go to Hawaii. The people living there will think that Texas is big and won't know that "Don't Mess With Texas" is from the Texas anti-litter campaign.

Alaska has plenty of pretty ladies, and nearly all are capable and intelligent too. It was women in Alaska who first took me skiing (and taught me to drink!), many of the women in Hawaii just seemed unwilling to try being friendly. They seemed tired of two week romances.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!