Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2010, 12:10 PM  

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Help relocating to Alaska

If I'm moving from the lower 48 to Alaska who do I use? Is there an international moving company? Also can I just haul stuff through Canada? Are there any rules I need to be made aware of?

Old 11-10-2010, 02:46 PM  

Las Vegas/Anchorage, NV
I'm in the process of moving right now to Alaska from Vegas. I'm using a company out of Tacoma Washington to move my vehicle full of my belongings to Anchorage Alaska. Wrightway Auto Transportation is the company name. They will allow all personal belongings minus firearms, chemicals, and other dangerous items. Your vehicle needs to have less than 1/4 of a tank of gas too.

You can move your things through Canada minus firearms, chemicals, dangerous stuff, etc. You will have to go through a border crossing and they will need to inspect everything. Also, I read that it helps to have proof that you're moving to Alaska so they don't think you're illegally migrating to Canada.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:40 PM  

sainte-madeleine, Qu?bec
enjoy the ride
Old 11-22-2010, 04:01 PM  

Anchorage, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSully View Post
I'm in the process of moving right now to Alaska from Vegas. I'm using a company out of Tacoma Washington to move my vehicle full of my belongings to Anchorage Alaska. Wrightway Auto Transportation is the company name. They will allow all personal belongings minus firearms, chemicals, and other dangerous items. Your vehicle needs to have less than 1/4 of a tank of gas too.

You can move your things through Canada minus firearms, chemicals, dangerous stuff, etc. You will have to go through a border crossing and they will need to inspect everything. Also, I read that it helps to have proof that you're moving to Alaska so they don't think you're illegally migrating to Canada.
It should also be noted that Canada does not like criminals! Some people are inadmissible?they are not allowed to come to Canada. Several things can make you inadmissible, including involvement in criminal activity, in human rights violations or in organized crime. You can also be inadmissible for security, health or financial reasons.

I heard that DUI will keep you out. Check before you come!
Old 11-22-2010, 08:35 PM  

Ketchikan, Alaska
Pack up and DON'T go through Canada if you can at all avoid it. Use Alaska Marine Line or Boyer barge line. You can also use the Alaska Marine Highway to move yourself and vehicle full of your things. Depending on how far you want to go it will cost you a few hundred dollars, but the driver cruises for free.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:36 AM  

Wasilla, Alaska
I have hauled three trailer loads of household stuff through Canada, up the Al-Can with firearms and had no problems. You must declare them and pay the entry fees (basically a hunting license), NO HANDGUNS.

The best way is to come up here with minimal stuff and buy what ever you need to live here--probably from someone moving back down--then reverse the procedure if/when you go back.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads