Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2010, 01:20 AM  

Lewistown, Montana
Wow. That was good! (The long write-up about driving the route to Prudhoe Bay. Great insight. And thanks for pointing out that ya can't even get to the "shore"/ocean/sea. That's pretty lame---one of the reasons I've thought about going is to be able to go all the way to the "shore". I enjoyed your write up about your experience so much, I'd suggest you submit it somewhere.
Thanks again for all the info!!!

Old 10-22-2010, 01:49 AM  

Anchorage, Anchorage, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppenga View Post
Wow. That was good! (The long write-up about driving the route to Prudhoe Bay. Great insight. And thanks for pointing out that ya can't even get to the "shore"/ocean/sea. That's pretty lame---one of the reasons I've thought about going is to be able to go all the way to the "shore". I enjoyed your write up about your experience so much, I'd suggest you submit it somewhere.Thanks again for all the info!!!
You're welcome (:

In 1996, they had a tour company up there that would give you a bus tour of parts of the oil field, and it would drive to the ocean and you could get out for just a couple of minutes and dip your foot in the ocean or whatever - but it is hardly the same as being able to drive up to it yourself. These days, you can take a different tour: Arctic Ocean Adventure w/ Northern Alaska Tour Company (for example).

It's expensive - and not the same as the DIY option. Overall, lame to me - but I'm not much on group-based adventures. If you want to drive up yourself and get an oilfield tour with the possibility of being able to get to the ocean (on a small tour bus), you might try:

Prudhoe Bay Hotel Tours, at (907) 659-2449
Tour Arctic, at (907) 659-2368.

Quote:
I enjoyed your write up about your experience so much, I'd suggest you submit it somewhere.
That was the summer version of a trip. The winter version is more interesting - involving several instances of almost freezing to death, being reported missing, getting stuck in the snow and being pulled out by a semi, and other assorted things. It's a better read, to be sure (:

Old 10-22-2010, 12:52 PM  

Livonia, Mi
Prudhoe Bay sounds fun
Old 11-03-2010, 01:36 PM  

Anchorage, AK
I've lived in Anchorage for a couple of years now and I've really been wanting to drive to Prudhoe Bay. Summer time of course! We have a new car, and I'm planning on buying a Jeep soon. But I also have a 1991 Ford Explorer that I paid $800 for. It runs like a champ. I'm thinking that it may be just the ticket for driving to Prudhoe Bay. If it gets beat to hell with rocks, that's cool. If it blows up out there, I'll hitch hike back! I'm going to drag my wife and kids along too. Your awesome write up can't discourage ME! I'm not going to let my wife read it, though.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:11 AM  

Anchorage, Alaska
KC10, I owned a 94' Explorer and just a word of caution: The rear ends are very, very light for 4x4'ing. If you are going to be going through any type of mud, I recommend some sand bags or cinder blocks in the back.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:51 PM  

Las Vegas/Anchorage, NV
The trip still sounds fun to me. What is wrong with me???

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.