Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2010, 12:23 PM  

Las Vegas, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterBoarder View Post
Consider California instead.
No thanks, no offense to anyone in California, but I don't want to visit, let alone live there. One of the reasons i want to get out of Nevada is because of how much our politics and laws are inspired by people from California.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:39 PM  

barrie, ontario
well

awesome place

Old 10-17-2010, 07:16 AM  

Anchorage, Anchorage, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanvalis View Post
No thanks, no offense to anyone in California, but I don't want to visit, let alone live there. One of the reasons i want to get out of Nevada is because of how much our politics and laws are inspired by people from California.
Well, how about Florida - or Texas, or Arizona, or perhaps Tennessee?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:04 AM  

Las Vegas/Anchorage, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanvalis View Post
So, my girlfriend and I are thinking that we want to head to alaska in a few years. We need to get out of Nevada before her daughter has to get into middle school. Any info, or advise would be great!
I just took a job in Alaska myself. I'm leaving Las Vegas for many of the same reasons you mentioned in this thread. I think right now is a good time to move to Alaska and the longer you wait the harder it will be.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:07 PM  

Anchorage, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
i dont think cali and alaska have much in common...
He just wants less people in Alaska
Old 11-22-2010, 04:38 PM  

Ketchikan, Alaska
I live in Ketchikan. This is a really nice place to live if you like to fish and hunt and do other outdoors types of things.
Ketchikan General Hospital might be a place you would consider looking into for a job, or even the Alaska Marine Highway might be another good alternative. In either case I think you'll enjoy the move.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:42 PM  

Anchorage, Alaska
Life long Alaskan here. Born and raised in Eagle River, now living in Anchorage. I have to second setting up an igoogle page about possible cities you're interested in. Anchorage is the largest city. Fairbanks is large, but the temp extremes are pretty severe. Kenai, Soldotna, and Homer are all decent sized and located, and you can get land for cheaper than Anchorage. Wasilla is growing rapidly, much to some people's dismay, but it still has that 'away from it all' feel a lot of the time. There's no sales tax in the municipality of Anchorage, but that means that our property taxes are pretty damn high. Let me know if I can be of any more help!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:25 PM  
Cheers!

Fairbanks, Alaska
Work

GCI and ACS are growing companies in your field. Potential employers. Monetarily, GCI may be worth more to you. I live in Fairbanks.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:12 AM  

Chugiak/Eagle River, AK
Vegas to AK

I don't blame you for wanting to leave Vegas, but you mention your middle schooler and in my opinion there just isn't enough opportunities for young adults here. It's great for kids growing up and playing in the snow and having a once in a lifetime adventure - but then it's UAA/F, military, or maybe a union job. My son had a tough adjustment, the military youth academy probably saved his life. I guess it depends on the kid. Just my 2 cents. My paradise isn't the same as my kids unfortunately..

It's great you have family there, but finding a job first will make life a lot easier.
Best of luck to you.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:39 PM  

Wasilla, Alaska
Tanvalis You'll do fine. Don't let anyone discourage you. It's an adventure to be sure, but having some family already there makes a transition much easier.

I agree with the research, The more you know the better prepared you are. Anchorage is expensive, Fairbanks is cold...or hot, the southeast is beautiful, but wet and isolated. Roads are rare here, probably the biggest cultural shock to most people. If you don't fly the options to you are pretty limited. The winters are long, and dark, but beautiful in their own right...if you don't have to be out in it all the time. I've worked north of the Arctic Circle 'out in it' as a bush pilot where I [B]had[B] to fly regardless of weather (pretty much), at 25 F below zero with a 20 knot wind its not uncomfortable, it's down right dangerous. But it's done, every day by ordinary people.

Good luck in your new adventure!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads