Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2010, 10:02 AM  

Las Vegas/Anchorage, NV
Moving to Alaska

Hello Everyone! I'm new to the forum and I am finally moving to Alaska. I applied for some jobs over the summer and one finally worked out. I leave from Las Vegas to Seattle in my Jeep on the 29th of November. Once I am in Seattle I will have my vehicle shipped to Anchorage and then fly to Anchorage myself. I start work on December 6th. The best part is that my new employer is paying for the move so no out of pocket expense other than my gas to Seattle.

They also will put me up in an hotel in Anchorage for a week so I can find a place to live. If anyone is from Anchorage and has any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Even if your recommendation is to stay away from an area. If you know of any good restaurants or local bars please feel free to send them my way. I know no one in Alaska so I'm looking to make some friends quick there.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:35 AM  

alaska
probably stay away from mt. view or the eastside.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:18 PM  

Anchorage
Depending on your income try the Foxwood Apts or Alpine Apts are the upper end. Food Bear/Mooses tooth is always fun.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:27 AM  

San Jose, CA
Have a beer at Chilcoot Charlies in Anchorage. This place is very large and has multiple music stages. Good luck in Alaska. Alaska is beautiful but it is also dangerous. There are many ways to just go missing so use caution and talk with other knowledgeable people about any activity you plan on doing. Just a word to the wise.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:53 PM  

Boise, ID
I've often considered doing the same thing but haven't found a suitable job yet with where I want to move to (Juneau). Let us know how it works out.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:52 PM  

Anchorage, Alaska
Press

Welcome to Alaska. One good resource to get to know Alaska/Anchorage is the free PRESS. Anchorage Press - Homepage

Alaska Craigslist may help you find a place, (do not sign anything long distance)! craigslist: anchorage / mat-su classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

My Flickr page:Flickr: akd200's Photostream

Drop me a line when you get into town. akd200@gmail.com.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:17 PM  
Toji

Anchorage, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSully View Post
If you know of any good restaurants or local bars please feel free to send them my way.
Like the other guy said, there are plenty of clubs like Koot's if clubbing is your scene. It's not really my scene, but being the beer snob that I am I'm a frequent patron of both Glacier Brewhouse and Moose's Tooth. If you're into great food and top notch microbrew, you can't go wrong with either place.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:03 PM  

Seattle/Anchorage
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeak View Post
probably stay away from mt. view or the eastside.
There is nothing wrong with the Eastside!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:19 PM  

Polk City, Iowa, Iowa
Is it true that the State of Alaska gives each Taxpayer a $1000 a yr?
That would make a lot of homebrew!
Old 12-02-2010, 04:51 PM  

des plaines, IL
usually more than that. it changes every year. my wife is from there and she was getting closer to $2000 a year.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads