Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2010, 11:37 PM  

Jackson, Mississippi
Visiting Anchorage Alaska

I went to Anchorage and stayed a week in August. I'm already planning my next trip back up to what I consider to be heaven.

I'll be staying in Anchorage again, what do you local guys recommend going and doing or seeing?

My girlfriend's cousin and his wife live there so don't have to pay for a room. I've been down to Seward and done the whole cruise thing, went to the sea life center. Was thinking about renting a kayak and doing a little kayaking on the next trip. Kind of just bumped around Anchorage for the week with a trip to Seward for a day. Give me some ideas.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 PM  

Rochester, Minnesota
I was there in mid September this past fall and it was perfect. The temps were in the 50 - 60 range and the leaves were beautiful. One of the best parts is that there were no other tourists then! We drove down to Whittier from Anchorage with hardly any traffic at all. I would recommend going out to Eagle River to the Wildlife Center and doing some hiking out there. You can hike part of the old Iditarod Trail and see some beautiful stuff. If you have a chance, take a small plane ride out over some of the glaciers. I got to go north towards Palmer then to the east up the Knik River valley. We landed out along the river and did some hiking by the glaciers. It was awesome!

Old 01-05-2011, 04:25 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
See, now that makes me want to kayak!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 AM  

Rochester, Minnesota
That picture was taken from the north east corner of Inner Lake George looking to the south near the river outlet. The river goes out of the lake on the right side of the picture. It would take some work to get a kayak up there but would be doable I think. I didn't see any icebergs cleave off but we definitely heard them from where we were hiking. After we took off from here we went further to the south and were spotting mountain goats on the side of that mountain and moose along the river.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:37 AM  

Lubbock, Texas
I am headed to Anchorage for a week in June for some R and R. I'm interested in outdoors activities including hunting and fishing. Anybody have any advice or a list of "must-do's?"
Old 01-14-2011, 12:21 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I would say the red X in the picture above your post would be a good place to visit.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:26 PM  

Jackson, Mississippi
That picture is really beautiful. Yet another reason I am beginning to think Alaska might be my heaven. Could you only reach that location via kayak and hiking or where there off road trails or the like?

I'm not a huge boat person though I haven't tried kayaking yet and would give it a shot. If I liked it I'd be one of the people up for long trips everywhere.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.