Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Albany
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2010, 03:55 PM  

Should I purchase brewing supplies online or locally?

Should I purchase my beer brewing supplies online or locally?
I'm finding it difficult to decide.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:36 PM  

Red Hook, NY
I've compared prices between local shops and online, and by the time you add the shipping (for online) or the Tax (for local) it seems to be close to a wash. I buy local for a number of reasons 1) support the local economy 2) I can chat with the folks in the store, and often time get input and ideas I would never get any where else 3) I take my homebrew back to the store and ask for input/advice. The down side to buying local is you may have to watch the freshness of ingredients, and they may not stock what you want. I've found that if it's not in stock, they will get it for me, but I have to plan my brewing a bit better.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:42 PM  

Rochester, New York
If the cost online is significantly less expensive, even considering shipping costs, buy online. If not, buy locally. If it's a wash, buy locally and enjoy instant gratification.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:02 PM  

Albany, New York
There is nothing compared to developing a good repoire with a local dealer.

That being said, I'm sure you would find it cheaper and duty free online.

But, there is the factor of keeping the money local!?!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:10 PM  

Des Moines, Iowa
I would totally recommend going local. Most of the reasons have been already mentioned. Buying local is always better on the economy, plus you get the extra help from the sellers.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:33 PM  

Albany, NY
+1 campcookie - all great points
Old 01-27-2011, 06:14 PM  

Hear all good things and have all good things to say about hammersmith in lathem.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:23 PM  

Local is always the best. But like others have said, sometimes the stores just charge way too much.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:17 PM  

Albany, NY
The guys at Hammersmith in Latham are nice and have valid opinions about most stuff in the store. If its a major purchase (like bulk malt), or a specialty item not found in Hammersmith, I'll go online. Otherwise, I enjoy checking the stuff out in the store, and buy most specialty malts and general every-session supplies at Hammersmith.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:51 AM  

Shop online for best brewing supply prices.

Does anyone else have an opinion regarding Brown's Brewery?

Since the assistant brewer at Brown's brewery was fired for allegedly pilfering brewing supplies for the use of the Troy Brew Club.

No longer can home brewers obtain yeast from fermenter wash outs. Too bad too. I enjoyed the visits to the brewing floor and speaking with the brewing staff.

The home brewing spirit no longer exists at this facility. Too many partners in need of their share of the bottom line. I would guess?

Brown's brewery is still as interesting as any other college town bar. With the regular mix of locals, students, did I mention students, drug dealers, and prostitutes. And the quality of the brews have returned as well.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Albany
Bookmark this Page!