Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2011, 03:53 PM  
Moved NY => Abq 3/9/11

TV and Internet Services in Abq

I understand Qwest and Comcast are the two main TV and Internet providers. What are some opinions on Comcast and Qwest for both TV and Internet. Obviously someone who has used both has the best perspective.

I'll be coming from the east coast with Verizon FiOS, so both of those offerings are a bit of a let down. It's the only negative I have found to moving to NM so far. I get this all the time, and this is even a bit low today...

Old 01-23-2011, 12:23 AM  
SW Explorer and Wanderer

Albuquerque, NM
Qwest, 12mbps connection, on my laptop, which is connected to the modem via G wifi.
My desktop, which is connected to the router via a wired gigabit router gets faster results.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:31 AM  
Moved NY => Abq 3/9/11

On another forum I saw this screen shot from Comcast.

On the TV side, I'm not too fond of a dish, though it would be easy to implement on my new pueblo style home. To me the main need is the 'best picture', not 'most channels'. I heard a rumor that Comcast was only 720p (or even 720i). Is that true? I scoured their web site and can not find any specs.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:45 PM  
SW Explorer and Wanderer

Albuquerque, NM
The problem with comcast is their speeds can vary widely, depending on time, network load, and equipment.
Even using a commercial account with minimum guaranteed speeds, i had speeds far below that during peak hours.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:05 AM  
Moved NY => Abq 3/9/11

This is all good background info. I won't be signing up until early May, so I'll just have to see what is available at my exact house at that time. I'm not too fond of the contract aspect of Qwest or their only TV offering being dish.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:25 PM  

Albuquerque, NM
Qwest speeds depend on where you buy. They've run fiber down many major streets, then it's still copper to the house. We're a block from one of those major streets (Spain) and could get 40 mbps if we want to shell out for it. I think that if your house has a long copper run to a fiber hub you could be 1.5 mbps.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:58 PM  
Moved NY => Abq 3/9/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookerdoodle View Post
Qwest speeds depend on where you buy. They've run fiber down many major streets, then it's still copper to the house.
I just went to their web site and played around. My 1823 address (house being built now) was 'not valid' a few weeks ago, so I used 1860 addr where I knew there was a house, which came up with 12M max. Today I tried 1839 (my guess at another existing house) and it came up with 20M max. I then tried 1800 and got 40M max. Finally I tried my 1823 again, and now it worked (building permit now?) and shows 20M max. Comcast offers 15dn/3up to the 1860 address.

However, it only offers 896K up speed, pretty poor for a household that maintains a few graphic oriented web pages.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:57 AM  

Albuquerque, NM
Yeah, I occasionally use a program called xming to remotely run stuff on my home computer from other places and display speed is awful. We have the 12/.896 service. 3 up is, well, 3x faster...

Relevant:

http://techblog.netflix.com/2011/01/...-networks.html
Old 02-06-2011, 02:29 PM  

Ive had both comcast and qwest and comcast they both are really terrible in abq speeds vary by times of of day and week day to weekend . I really wish we had fiber optic where I live on unser and ladera
Old 02-07-2011, 12:18 AM  
SW Explorer and Wanderer

Albuquerque, NM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snookerdoodle View Post
Qwest speeds depend on where you buy. They've run fiber down many major streets, then it's still copper to the house. We're a block from one of those major streets (Spain) and could get 40 mbps if we want to shell out for it. I think that if your house has a long copper run to a fiber hub you could be 1.5 mbps.

My copper run is 23 feet.
Custom run with weatherproofed, insulated Cat6.

Be jealous.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
Bookmark this Page!