Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2010, 07:36 AM  

Boston, MA
Areas with good temporary housing?

Hey guys,

For the past few years, I've thought about spending the winter in Arizona, specifically Tucson. (It was going to be for off-season cycling training and that's like the place to be for cyclists.) It never worked out, but anyway...

I noticed that Tucson was pretty good about having short-term housing, like 1 and 3 month leases and whatnot. Probably due to people from colder climates coming as tourists.

Any other nice areas in the state, perhaps Sedona or something, that offers flexible short-term living options for people on vacation?

Old 11-12-2010, 02:44 PM  

Eureka, Montana
I suspect the good people of Arizona aren't particularly pleased with snowbirds swarming to their state every winter! That's kind of how we feel up here in Montana in the summer. We're not that far from Glacier National Park, and you can't hardly drive on the highways in the summer with all the motorhomes and tourists!

I used to live outside of Las vegas and the population would triple in the winter. We liked the people, for the most part, but most people who lived there year round didn't. They made sarcastic cracks all the time about the snowbirds, yet seemed willing to take their money when they needed to buy something, get something fixed, or rent a spot in an RV park for 6 months.

Be persistant, though. Contact local realtors, maybe, although surely they will direct you to the pricier places. If you're cycle training, contact some bike shops in the areas you're interested in, get some conversation going (even via email) and see if they can recommend a place.

Another thought...there's a site called Warmshowers.org | Hospitality for touring cyclists where people who are willing to let cycle tourists spend a night along their route are registered. You might look for anyone in areas you're interested in and contact them and ask if they know of anything. Explain what all you're up to and a bit about yourself. I know I would do the same if a cycler contacted me for information about our area, so hopefully there are others out there who would help you.

Good luck!

Old 11-13-2010, 01:30 PM  

Maricopa, Arizona
Finding suitable short-term accommodations is not a problem anywhere in Arizona . As someone on a previous thread had mentioned, our Real Estate market imploded several years back and we are long way from rebounding. As a result it is certainly a buyer or renters market and you can pretty much dictate the terms.

Not to call Hermit out, but most of Arizonans realize that so much of our economy is dependent on the expenditures of the snowbirds that they are welcomed with open arms. My wife owns an Arts & Crafts store in old town Chandler and without the winter visitors she would have had to close the store years ago.

Real Estate purchases in the Phoenix area by Canadians have eclipsed those of Californians for the first time in history.

Pick an area that appeals to you and you shouldn't have any worries.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:11 PM  

Eureka, Montana
azvoiceman, you're right to call me out. I've never lived in Arizona. I was making a guess since no one had answered the OP and it had been quite a while, AND I remembered how a lot of folks felt when we lived in Nevada.

I'm pleased to read your post. Good information, and you guys have a good attitude. Sorry for making guesses that encompassed everyone in one assessment.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:10 PM  

Maricopa, Arizona
No worries, Hermit. I too have lived in other "resort" type locales where we did indeed despise the tourists. My favorite saying back then was "If it's tourist season, how come we can't shoot them?".

By the way, I've been up in your neck of the woods, and you have the right to say you live in "God's Country". It brought back some fond memories when I read Eureka, MT. You're very lucky.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:51 PM  

Eureka, Montana
Thanks, az, we like it here. Other than the long winter!

I've been loving the Arizona threads, especially the "You know you're in Arizona when..." thread!

Ah, yes, tourists! That's one of our favorite sayings too! I mean, it's not like they're endangered species, there should be a seaon, huh?

We've got a light layer of snow on the ground and snow in the forecast all week. Go out and soak up some sun for me, okay?!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:54 PM  

Maricopa, Arizona
Will do, Hermit. I enjoy that thread also, along with many others. What gets my goat is a thread "Groundwater in Flagstaff" with personal attacks. There is no need for that, just agree to disagree...

Take good care and toss another log on the fire, I'll pray for an early spring for ya!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:39 PM  

Eureka, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by azvoiceman View Post
Will do, Hermit. I enjoy that thread also, along with many others. What gets my goat is a thread "Groundwater in Flagstaff" with personal attacks. There is no need for that, just agree to disagree...

Take good care and toss another log on the fire, I'll pray for an early spring for ya!
I haven't read the "Groundwater in Flagstaff" thread yet. It's a shame to have personal attacks on the forum. I hope those involved get past it.

We have 8" of snow on the ground and it's still coming down. Supposed to clear out over the weekend and drop to zero. I'll think of you as we toss another log on the fire...over and over and over! Thanks for the prayers for an early spring! Next summer I'll pray for frequent rain showers or something for you!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona
Bookmark this Page!