Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2010, 01:05 AM  

St. Johns, Arizona
Arizona Preppers and Off-the-grid'ers

I know there are plenty of people here in Arizona that are preparing, or want to prepare for a major change in society as we know it, or just prefer to live off-the-grid, but there hasn't been any way to contact or learn from one another. I have started this thread to provide a place where we can contact and learn from like-minded pleople closer to home.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:12 PM  

tucson, az
I'm off grid at my cabin and prepping for another good bbq...is that what you mean?

Old 11-30-2010, 12:40 PM  

Glendale, Arizona
preppers and off the griders won't respond for 2 reasons:
1: they are off the grid
2: their tinfoil hat disrupts their wireless signal.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:19 PM  

tucson, az
well this is quickly degrading into a funny thread, what else ya'll got
Old 12-01-2010, 10:36 AM  

St. Johns, Arizona
I love the joke, and it reminds me of a quote by Lily Tomlin “Instead of working for the survival of the fittest, we should be working for the survival of the wittiest -- then we can all die laughing.”
Actually, many off-the-gridders have access to the internet via wireless, but provide their own electricity to run their computer. While I agree that there are some off-the-gridders and preppers that have some strange and off-the-wall beliefs and reasons for moving off the grid or preparing for a major change in society as we know it, but there are even more that are just normal, everyday type people that understand that relying on government and society to take care of them is irresponsible and ill-advisable. (Since when has the government ever taken care of anyone effectively, and why should they?) People need to learn from history, just look at what happened during the last great depression.

I have spoken to many people, from all economic levels, around the Phoenix area who have started stocking up on food, and other necessities. Many people I have spoken to believe that there is going to be some major social changes occurring, which will be unlike anything we have ever seen in this country. Unlike previous generations, people today have little understanding about how to take care of themselves, such as growing their own food, handling any minor medical issues, fixing their mechanical equipment, or protecting themselves from those who want to take what they have. While I pray that there are no social changes, which will require such preparation, I personally believe that it is too late and the wheels are already in motion.

My family has prepared by stocking up on over a years worth of food, medical supplies to handle everything from small scrapes to major cuts, solar and wind generated electricity, and much more. We are also prepared to move off-the-grid this coming February, 2011, already have animals to provide milk, eggs, and meat, as well as a wide variety of heirloom seeds to grow our own vegetables.

If anyone is interested I will be happy to explain why we, and many others, believe that society will be changing dramatically very soon.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:26 AM  

tucson, az
I know where you are coming from and have thought like this since the seventies. Something about hiding under a desk when the hbomb goes off maybe. I have chosen however to live as happily as I can despite societies shortcomings although as you can tell this makes me cynical and a wise ass. More power to you. What it would appear you are doing is what made this country great. Corporate motives have taken over what once was a free market and a government by, for and of the people. Too many sheeple these days....I just don't by into the sudden revolt/collapse doomsday ideas like 1984, remember the millenium 2000 k computer failure myth....I bought a lot of my solar stuff on sale right after 2000, dont buy the hype just live simply and the more self suffcient the better if you can. Your right lots of rural and even city folk do it, just without the hype and hippy or survivalist doomsday trappings. Its ironic to me with so much common thinking between libertarian survivalist/tea partiers and self sufficiency granola eating organic farming enviro hippies, and for that matter the working class that we have so much polarization amongst the people. (nasty terms used for effect) When it really is greed and coporate takeover of governments worldwide that is the problem.

When I was growing up in the sixties my parent always had at least a weeks food supply, candles, med supplies, etc, blizzards were common, widespread dramatic changes requiring a years stockpile, I remain skeptical/optimistic, and believe me in high school I ALWAYS has my backpack prepped a ready to go for "when the ****" hit the fan". I think I'm a little wiser now. The words to big to fail come to mind, I just dont see it....
Old 12-01-2010, 12:37 PM  

St. Johns, Arizona
I remember those days of hiding under the desk, then sitting in the hallways, waiting for the world to end. I decided to live a happy life as well, but to be a little more open minded and better prepared so that I can continue to live a happy life. I, also, do agree that the majority of people today are sheepal, and wouldn't even comprehend life being any different than it is today. I, also, believe that the polarization of people is and has been a phenominal way of keeping the general population under control, by keeping them fighting amongst themselves, instead of seeing the big picture. As for the words "too big to fail", so was the Roman Empire, the Soviet Union, GM, FannyMae, and many other examples. It is unfortunately thinking like that which generally gets everyone in trouble because we become complacent, then freak out when it does happen.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:11 PM  

tucson, az
I agree, yep, too big to fail, ask my bank, the harder they come the harder they fall.....I was being cynical...really tho I hope we the peo;le won't allow failure, first step: take care of yourself, then yur neighbor....its a freemason thing I think....we are simply spread to thin and serving the wrong interests...by the way most of the too big to fail corps did not they are reaping record profits...
Old 12-01-2010, 03:03 PM  

tucson, az
I now vow not to discuss politics again
Old 12-01-2010, 04:54 PM  

Glendale, Arizona
Have you noticed all the public service announcements about being prepared? I've seen some posters at the shopping center by my house too... Maybe something is on the horizon, and if it is, is it a natural occurrence, or is someone planning this total uprooting of society... dun dun duuuun.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads