Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2011, 07:22 PM  
fustrated genius

Arizona roots

In a small town in Sonora, Mexico, way back in 1836, an anscestor of mine was born. As gold was discovered in California in 1849, many "mineros" or miners came up "El Camino del Diablo" or in english, "the Devil's Highway" to the gold fields of California.
Many traveled back & forth, as did the infamous "Joaquin Murrieta" also born in the same area, in the same year.
My anscestor became a naturalised US citizen in the same year he filed a mining claim in the newly formed US territory Arizona 1863. It was a silver lead stretching several hundred feet.
Tracking down my anscestor's silver lead was fun. I don't know the exact location but I KNOW the canyon. It is just outside the Quartzsite, AZ at, or near the stone house and "Spanish Wall". I was STOKED. Here's the pics of my trip.

the La Paz mining district was one of the most productive mining districts ever . The stone house was either constructed or repaired much later than my anscestors era, I can tell by the nails (pictired below). The nails of the 1800's were square. Tyson's Well would have been there or being constructed,(dug) in my anscestor's era. He probably got water for himself & animals.
Arizona roots-az-roots-093.jpg 

Arizona roots-az-roots-095.jpg 

Arizona roots-az-roots-139.jpg 

Arizona roots-az-roots-146.jpg 

Arizona roots-az-roots-149.jpg 

Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 PM  
fustrated genius

more pics of the old hiway gettiong into the area and the dirt road going up to the area. the last two are the "Spanish Wall"
Arizona roots-az-roots-005.jpg 

Arizona roots-az-roots-023.jpg 

Arizona roots-az-roots-050.jpg 

Arizona roots-az-roots-061.jpg 

Arizona roots-az-roots-070.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads