Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2011, 01:13 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Heart Attack Grill spokesman dies at 29

HTML Code:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-03-04-restaurant-spokesman-dies_n.htm?csp=obinsite
Blair River was a big guy with a big heart.

Quote:
River, who stood 6-foot-8 and weighed about 575 pounds, gained a measure of fame in the past year as spokesman for the Heart Attack Grill, a Chandler, Ariz., restaurant that specializes in thick hamburgers and fries. He died on Tuesday at the age of 29.
The cause of death is currently unknown, but friends are speculating that it was the result of his contracting pneumonia after a bout with the flu.
Heart Attack Grill is an unabashedly unhealthy restaurant ? the menu consists of huge burgers, milkshakes and fries cooked in lard ? and having such a big man as a spokesman was part of its tongue in cheek "glorification of obesity." But those who knew River said he was more than the larger-than-life caricature he portrayed in promoting the restaurant.
Restaurant founder Jon Basso said he got to know River, first as a customer then as the grill's spokesman.
"Cynical people might think this (River's death) is funny," Basso said. "But people who knew him are crying their eyes out. There is a lot of mourning going on around here. You couldn't have found a better person."
River was a state heavyweight wrestling champion in 1999 as a senior at Payson High School and he went on to play football at Mesa Community College.
He lived in Mesa, Ariz., and worked as a financial adviser at the University of Phoenix.
"He was a nice guy, very energetic and full of life," said Alex Arreola, a waitress at the grill. "He was always talking about his daughter and he always seemed to know the right thing to say to people."
Basso said River was the "creative genius" behind the promotions and was always coming up with new ideas for spots for the restaurant. They were even planning to shoot a spot called, "Heart Attack Grill: The Musical."
"Even if he was skinny we would have given him the job," Basso said. "We would have just put a fat suit on him. He just had personality."
Basso said they had to stop showing some of the ads featuring River on the video screens in the restaurant because they made some of the staff too emotional.
"We're like a family here and he was part of our family," Arreola said. "He will be missed. He'll definitely be missed."
Quote:
I met Blair River just one time in 2010. As I was sitting down to attempt my first-ever Quadruple Bypass Burger, he was just leaving Heart Attack Grill, his friend having finished two of the meaty monstrosities while he himself had just downed three of the regular Bypass Burgers he got for free for weighing more than 350 pounds. He was a 6-foot-8, nearly 600-pound grizzly bear, and he was smiling, filled with the contentment brought about by a satisfying meal.

It wasn't until I learned of his death last week that I realized whom I'd been speaking with. The 29-year-old former state wrestling champion had long been the face of Heart Attack Grill, appearing in the restaurant's commercials glorifying weight and indulgent food. He died last Tuesday, not of a heart attack, but of complications with pneumonia.

It would be foolish for anyone reading of River's death to take the consequences of overeating lightly. According to the Center for Disease Control, obese men have a 40 percent greater risk of pneumonia compared with those of normal weight, and men who were are obese are twice as likely to get pneumonia. The CDC notes that obesity increases the risks of coronary heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, respiratory problems and certain cancers.
HTML Code:
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2011/03/heart_attack_grills_spokesman.php
Quote:
Anyone who weighs in and tips the scale over 350 pounds before they order can eat a triple or quadruple bypass burger for free. And all customers, regardless of their weight, get pushed to their car in a wheelchair after they consume one of burgers that leaves them two to three pounds heavier.

It's all fun and games until someone loses a life.
Heart Attack Grill spokesman dies at 29-blair-river.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona
Bookmark this Page!