Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arkansas
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2011, 11:54 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I will have to agree with you on this statement. I have been taught to never believe anything that you read, and only half of what you see.

Again, I do not condone discrimination, and in fact despise it. I have been taught that there are two sides to every story, and we are only hearing one side of it.
Black student barred from being valedictorian
Kymberly Wimberly, black valedictorian, claims school demoted her over race - BlogPost - The Washington Post

The Washington Post, ABC and CNN have the story. What I was unaware of is the girl (now in college) is a mother. I see a probably black unmarried mom taking top honors in an Arkansas H.S. being "a big mess".
might cause a big mess-ruby-bridges-apuva1_integration_ru_37wqh.jpg 

Old 07-29-2011, 12:02 PM  

As said before, there are always two sides to every story. I've read of other unwed mothers being pushed out of the limelight due to concerns that it may influence other youngsters. it is a conundrum, to say the least.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:45 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
As said before, there are always two sides to every story. I've read of other unwed mothers being pushed out of the limelight due to concerns that it may influence other youngsters. it is a conundrum, to say the least.
An unwed white valedictorian would be a cause for celebration.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:06 PM  

Black, white, or purple, many may see an unwed mother at the podium of a public school as a concern. Some school administrators are still old fashioned and believe marriage should come before babies. My first wife became pregnant in her senior year of high school, and was ordered not to attend school anymore, and still doesn't have a diploma, 40+ years later.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:41 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
My first wife became pregnant in her senior year of high school, and was _ordered_ not to attend school anymore, and still doesn't have a diploma, 40+ years later.
In "65" my college aged friend was sent to Mississippi from Wisconsin to avoid shaming her family. That was 46 years ago. This is the 21st Century and some folks need to finally let go of the 19th.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:48 AM  

A very true statement!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arkansas
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads