Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2010, 10:58 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Any Hermann Hesse fans?

I'm a huge Hermann Hesse fan. Beneath the Wheel was amazing in the way of juvenile oppression and what it is to be pushed into the angst of youth.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Steppenwolf. Same concept.

Really anything from Hesse I love. I have yet to read Magister Ludi, I own a copy, but it's the pinnacle of his work, and I am intimidated by it. Aside form that I've read the entire collection (with a think a couple of harder to find collections).

Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 AM  

I knowe your post was awhile ago but i am indeed a fan of Hesse. I had read every book available and now am re-reading some. Currently, I am reading again The Glass Bead Game. It is a masterpiece and truly is a game I play mentally and have been since my first reading. It is so intricatly written and conrt

Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 PM  

Georgia
I enjoyed Beneath the Wheel and Steppenwolf tremendously when I was in college. (You know when all my Indian competition was doing math . . . ). However, I am well equipped to describe my middle-aged angst.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I'm back to reading Narcissus and Goldmund.

What a fantastic book. Cloister life must have been an interesting thing to experience.

Beneath the Wheel is easily one of his favorite books of mine as is Steppenwolf, and you're right, I can explain angst like no one's business.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 AM  

I actually am going back and re-reading as much as i can-right now it is Demian and Glass Bead Game at the same time-well at different intervals. I think if i had to list my top 3 authors-hesse would be number 1. Then Lagerkvist and Steinbeck-tough to put them in order though. Hesse could literally freeze a moment and describe everything in the room along with the thoughts and emotions of the characters at that moment. I can't imagine having had a conversation of any depth with him. I am truly thankful for his talent, imagination, and the stories he wrote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
He's my one historical figure you could share a meal with.

He was once asked if he had anything in common with the prophets in his novels, I'm paraphrasing here but the answer was "No,absolutely not".

The first three pages of Narcissus & Goldmund summarize his writing style from that point forward. Earlier works like Peter Camezind, although extremely well written for a first book, lack the voice he wouldn't find till Narcissus and explore in Siddhartha, Journeys to the East, and Magister Ludi.

His essays, especially those on nationalism are incredible in light of the movement that would follow, the Nazis.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!