Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2011, 03:06 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Bob Dylan favored to win Nobel prize for literature

Bob Dylan favored to win Nobel prize for literature - Celebrity Circuit - CBS News

Quote:
(CBS) Bob Dylan: Singer. Songwriter. Activist. Nobel laureate?

The music legend has surged to the top of betting agency Ladbrokes' list, and is now the odds-on favorite to win the Nobel prize for literature, Britain's The Guardian reports.

The paper reported Tuesday night that Dylan's odds tumbled from 100/1 to 10/1. On Wednesday, Ladbrokes announced his odds were now 5/1, putting Dylan ahead of Syraian poet Adonis (6/1), Japanese writer Haruki Murakami (8/1) and Swedish poet Tomas Transtromer (10/1).

Eighty percent of bets made in a 12-hour period went to Dylan, according to the Guardian.

Dylan won a Pulitzer Prize in 2008 for "his profound impact on popular music and American culture, marked by lyrical compositions of extraordinary poetic power," and has also won 11 Grammys, a Golden Globe and an Academy Award. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988.

The winner of the Nobel prize for literature will be announced Thursday.
Bob Dylan favored to win Nobel prize for literature-dylan-nobel.jpg 

Old 10-12-2011, 03:27 PM  
Traveler

high five, blucher.

Bob Dylan blowin' in the bagpipes | Reuters

Old 10-13-2011, 01:22 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas

I listen to a lot Dylan. This is one of my favorite songs. I prefer just him and a guitar.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:51 AM  
Traveler

so many great songs--'Blowin in the Wind--how many miles must a man walk down before he can call himself a man'---some don't walk far enough or find the right roads.

I love 'Tangled Up in Blue'.

I went to the recycled music store and found a set of 3 Joan Baez cd's for a good price. what a beautiful voice and what profound lyrics that woman has written.

i googled her. dylan and baez were in a relationship for a while. must have inspired each other--parted ways.

they did a duet on one CD. very nice.

he has a son, Jakob---interesting to hear his music. His own person of course--but definitely his father's son.

without such people the world would really be in a mess.

I don't think the same will be said for Lady Gaga. don't think i have ever heard one of her songs. just not interested--she can wear meat and whatever else she wants. hailed as the next 'Madonna'--as if that were something good.

i was teaching 5th graders when Madonna came on the scene---i would say she made a very negative contribution to society --around 1982.

now we have address the 'issue' of bullying---things started to go south in the Reagan years---corporate boom years, whatever anyone else may think--I know how we got to this low point. exactly how it happened.

turning back a bit. there is now a genre of Christian heavy metal--probably Christian rap. i don't care to know.

just listen to Bob Dylan and others like him.

that is what i am going to do--others can do as they please.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:10 AM  
fustrated genius

I liked Hwy 61 revisited but this is my other fav. He wrote so many, it's incredible.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:25 AM  
Traveler

[QUOTE=HiHood;128695]I liked Hwy 61 revisited but this is my other fav. He wrote so many, it's incredible.

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, film--it was used in the film.

sung pretty by Kristofferson--and others.

lots of people sing Bob's songs. and they should continue to do so.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:29 AM  
Traveler

Old 10-14-2011, 09:33 AM  
Traveler

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!