Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2021, 02:34 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
new shows 2021

Since there is no longer such a thing as TV seasons, I am just going to write about new series I am finding in 2021 as I find them.

Old 02-01-2021, 02:40 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
All Creatures Great and Small

In the 1970s, writer James Herriott wrote a series of books about a veterinarian in England in the 1930s. The books were made into a TV series in England then and run in the US on PBS.
I read All Creatures Great and Small back then, and watched a few episodes of the original series. Both the characters in the book and especially the actors on the TV show had very thick accents, which I think was deliberate, as accents still varied greatly back then. I had a hard time following the TV show, and even the book was hard to read at times.
So now there is a remake of the series from England, airing Sunday nights on PBS on Masterpiece. It is a much lighter series than anything else on TV and sometimes very funny, especially the scenes with uncooperative animals. Mom and I both enjoy it, but we both have the same problem. Although the accents have been radically toned down for this new version, sometimes it is hard to understand what the characters are saying, particularly those folks who are locals and playing bit parts--their brogue is still thick.

Old 02-01-2021, 02:42 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
Call Your Mother

Kyra Sedgwick cannot find a decent sitcom for herself on TV.
Her latest attempt is Call Your Mother on ABC. She's an overprotective mom who moved to LA to be closer to her grown son and daughter. She lives in the guest house of a divorced man.
The show tries to hard to be funny, and the characters are not that amusing. After two episodes I am giving up.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:45 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
Resident Alien

I would have rewritten the new SyFy series Resident Alien.
It's about a creature from another planet who has crashed landed in the mountains of Colorado. He kills a man who owns a cabin and then takes on the guise as him. The other humans he meets all talk like characters in Fargo.
It would have been more amusing and less disgusting if he had just decided to be his own human, and the other characters weren't so annoying. I watched only 20 minutes and then gave up.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:51 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
Nurses

Nurses is the latest Canadian medical drama that NBC has been showing on US TV. Mom and I loved the previous Canadian doctor show that the Peacock had aired, called Transplant.
Nurses is very much like Transplant. I swear it is the same hospital building and the plots are copies. I watched half of one episode and gave up--the characters were too whiny. Mom didn't care for it either--she thought it was too slow.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:40 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
In the 1970s, writer James Herriott wrote a series of books about a veterinarian in England in the 1930s. The books were made into a TV series in England then and run in the US on PBS.
I read All Creatures Great and Small back then, and watched a few episodes of the original series. Both the characters in the book and especially the actors on the TV show had very thick accents, which I think was deliberate, as accents still varied greatly back then. I had a hard time following the TV show, and even the book was hard to read at times.
So now there is a remake of the series from England, airing Sunday nights on PBS on Masterpiece. It is a much lighter series than anything else on TV and sometimes very funny, especially the scenes with uncooperative animals. Mom and I both enjoy it, but we both have the same problem. Although the accents have been radically toned down for this new version, sometimes it is hard to understand what the characters are saying, particularly those folks who are locals and playing bit parts--their brogue is still thick.
May be if there's a setting for sub-titles, it can be helpful
Old 02-14-2021, 10:41 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
No matter how much Fox pushes "Kat", it just isn't funny. If Jim Parsons had not owned it, I doubt it would have been aired.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:17 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
fantasy island

Normally I avoid remakes but the new version of Fantasy Island sounded interesting from the reviews. It debuted last night on Fox. It airs at 9 p.m. Tuesdays.
The show was actually rather funny. I laughed a few times. The current proprietor of the island is Elena Roarke, great-niece of Mr. Roarke. There is a photo of Ricardo Montalban on her desk. Elena got a new assistant in the pilot episode, Ruby, who has a tattoo on her back. In the pilot, it is implied that the visitors' experiences are partially drug-induced.
I will keep watching the show as of now.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:27 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
CSI-Vegas is back this fall, with several of the original cast. William Peterson, Jorja Fox and Wallace Langham
Old 08-30-2021, 06:53 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
The Ultimate Surfer

I've mentioned before that, although I can't surf and live a million miles from the ocean, I love to watch surfing. If the focus of the new reality series The Ultimate Surfer on ABC had been surfing and not the silly games these shows play, I might have continued watching it. But I watched only 20 minutes of the first episode, and stopped because I couldn't stand it.
Ultimate has all the reality show segments: the sob stories, the bragging and insulting, the unnecessary and ridiculous competitions, the replays. It's in an hour-long time slot and if you removed all the nonsense and commercials, you'd have about 10 minutes of actual surfing.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!