Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2022, 03:46 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
new shows 2022

Three sitcoms debuted on Tuesday, and all of them were terrible. Who decided that comedies needed to be unfunny with unlikeable people?
First was Abbott Elementary, on ABC. It was about a grade school and the teachers and employees were absolutely helpless. I watched 10 minutes and gave up.
Then there was American Auto on NBC. I did get through the entire half hour, but didn't laugh once and won't return. It was like The Office but about a small car manufacturer. The entire episode was about giving a certain employee more benefits.
Last was Grand Crew, also on NBC. I watched 5 minutes, couldn't make heads or tails of it, and stopped watching TV altogether and read the rest of the evening.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:46 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
how we roll

I have to give credit to the producers of How We Roll, a new CBS series about a man who decides to become a professional bowler. The episodes are about his becoming a pro and about his family. It's a working-class family comedy about a topic we haven't seen before. (The only show I can think of that regularly featured bowling was The Flintstones!)
There's something "off" about the show but I can't put my finger on it. I laugh only a few times each episode. Is it the fact that I've gotten so used to people looking perfect on TV, even if they're poor? The characters on this show are ordinary looking and wear clothes that are not necessarily in style. And their house looks like it needs to be updated. Maybe these are good details and I'm just too picky?

Old 06-14-2022, 01:57 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
Buried in Barstow

Buried in Barstow was violent, depressing and on Lifetime, and had a cliffhanger ending. You know what? I LOVED the show! Even my mom watched it with me!
It's about a woman who was a runaway teen prostitute, got hired to be an assassin, got pregnant, and then fled Las Vegas to run a diner in Barstow, California. Her daughter is now 19. Then the woman is hired to kill another man, who turns out to be her daughter's father.
It was a two-hour movie on a Saturday night in late spring. I don't know when the next episode is scheduled to air; from what I read on the Internet the sequel hadn't even started filming as of two weeks ago.
I hope the collection of TV movies will continue, as I was very intrigued.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:19 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
I have to give credit to the producers of How We Roll, a new CBS series about a man who decides to become a professional bowler. The episodes are about his becoming a pro and about his family. It's a working-class family comedy about a topic we haven't seen before. (The only show I can think of that regularly featured bowling was The Flintstones!)
There's something "off" about the show but I can't put my finger on it. I laugh only a few times each episode. Is it the fact that I've gotten so used to people looking perfect on TV, even if they're poor? The characters on this show are ordinary looking and wear clothes that are not necessarily in style. And their house looks like it needs to be updated. Maybe these are good details and I'm just too picky?
It has been cancelled. Just too many unlikable characters for me. And as someone who bowled in tournaments, not very convincing.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:36 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
Dark Winds

Dark Winds on AMC is a physically stunning show, but a little hard to follow because there are so many characters and I am not sure how everyone is related to each other, not just actual kinship but just how they know each other.
It takes place in 1971 on the Navajo reservation in New Mexico. The show is filmed on location. Some scenes look like Monument Valley (a place I have wanted to visit for a long time).
The story is about the police chief and his deputies trying to solve several gruesome murders and missing persons cases. Obviously, the show is very intense at times.
I am quite involved in it and even my mother has watched parts of it with me. I recommend Dark Winds but it is not for children.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:34 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
Leonardo

A miniseries is showing on the CW entitled Leonardo. It is about the early years of art training the Leonardo Da Vinci received. I have no idea how accurate the story is. The premise is that there is another piece of art of his that went missing centuries ago.
I liked the premiere and will watch the next episode next week. My only complaint was that I could not keep all the young male artists in the school straight, as they all had wavy black hair and pale skin and looked very much alike.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:13 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
too many choices!

For the first time in years, there have been many shows each week on the OTA channels or basic cable. This is what I watched this summer and fall.

Summer: All Rise on Own, Chesapeake Shores on Hallmark, Collector's Call on MeTV, Dark Winds on AMC and Leonardo on the CW.

Autumn. I have really been impressed with the lineup of dramas this fall on network TV. There hasn't been anything this extensive in years. Sunday: Coroner on the CW and East New York on CBS. Monday, Quantum Leap on NBC. Tuesday, La Brea and New Amsterdam on NBC and Monarch on Fox. Thursday, So Help Me Todd on CBS and Alaska Daily on ABC. Since some of the series air at the same time, I've been watching ENY and Monarch on On Demand, which Cincinnati Bell Altafiber offers with its cable package.
Also, COZI TV has aired one of the more recent seasons of Heartland, on Sundays, which I hadn't seen yet.
I've noticed that a lot of the contemporary dramas that I like are actually from Canada. I think that some of them seem more traditional and used to what I've watched over the years. Coroner, Heartland, Leonardo and Transplant, which was on last spring.
The only new show I tried and did not care for was Family Law on the CW, (not to be confused with the 1990s Kathleen Quinlan series, which was wonderful). It just seemed like all the plots and characters were ones I'd seen before.
Monarch is enjoyable but very stupid. It's a cross between Dynasty and Hee Haw. The country music is wonderful but there are too many family secrets, too many feuds and too many dead bodies.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!