Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 PM  

New Paltz, New York
Last three reads where "Gangs of New York" By Herburt Asbury, "Oil" By Upton Sinclair and "Black wind" By Clive Cussler. Reading "Sh*t my Dad says" By Justin Halpern right now and it's really funny stuff.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:54 AM  

Anoka, Minnesota
Just finished "A Salty Piece of Land" by Jimmy Buffett.

Going to go find either "Destroyer of Worlds" by Larry Niven or "The Gathering Storm" by the late Robert Jordan.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:48 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Brotherbill View Post
Just finished "A Salty Piece of Land" by Jimmy Buffett.

Going to go find either "Destroyer of Worlds" by Larry Niven or "The Gathering Storm" by the late Robert Jordan.
Jimmy Buffet wrote a book? Good for him. What was it about?
Old 11-23-2010, 06:49 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
I'm reading 2 right now. I hardly ever read but I'm on a reading kick right now. I just finished Choke by Chuck Palahniuk and now I'm reading Pygmy by him and the Coldest Winter by David Halberstam.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:40 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Finished Titan a biography of John Rockefeller and a biography on Carnegie. Done with biographies for awhile. Starting in on Fountainhead.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:41 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Last three reads where "Gangs of New York" By Herburt Asbury, "Oil" By Upton Sinclair and "Black wind" By Clive Cussler. Reading "Sh*t my Dad says" By Justin Halpern right now and it's really funny stuff.
How did you like Oil!?

Was one of the last 5 books I've read. I thought the first 3/4 was incredibly good and the plot was well executed then the plot started to go weak in the last 1/4 and it turned into Sinclair's political rantings disguised as part of the story.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:48 PM  
Class Clown

Schenectady/Albany, NewYork
Just finnished "The Rising" by Brian Keene
Old 11-24-2010, 12:53 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
The History of Japan 1501 to modern day.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:42 PM  

Anoka, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Jimmy Buffet wrote a book? Good for him. What was it about?
Actually he has written a few books. And if you listen to his music you could guess that his books are about being a modern day pirate and not giving a bleep about anything but having a good time.

Actually he can spin a good tale. If you want to read a book that will make you want to sell your house and move to the tropics pick up one of his books.

Current reading Ringworld. Next is Ringworld Engineers. Then Ringworld Throne. Then Ringworld Children.

I'm such a Larry Niven bobo it's sick.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:28 AM  

New Paltz, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
How did you like Oil!?

Was one of the last 5 books I've read. I thought the first 3/4 was incredibly good and the plot was well executed then the plot started to go weak in the last 1/4 and it turned into Sinclair's political rantings disguised as part of the story.
Sinclair was pretty unhappy about the land leases that occurred at that time. I saw the movie, before I read the book. And as in most cases the movies only picks the surface. I did find the book about the same as you. As Bunny started to become involved with the labor movement the story seemed to get thin. Like Sinclair was trying to wrap it up to get on to another subject.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.