Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2010, 04:49 AM  

Atlanta, GA
Atlantans! Where's the good soul food?

Yes, there's BBQ (which merits its own threads, at least!) for which you have Daddy D'z for get-down funky, as well as several corporate chains.

You've also got Miss Ann's just southwest of Kirkwood, with the Ghetto Burger and "no cursing allowed while dining here, please!" I swear, that burger could turn a high-pressure, coffee-fueled yuppie into a mellow couch-based potato human for at least an afternoon and an evening!

But I'm talking Soul Food. That cooked-all day goodness, just like you always secretly wished your grandma could make.

There's "This Is It" near Avondale Estates, with BBQ and fish. Scrumptious fare, whether you want half a chicken, or some catfish. Friendly folks, too!

Check out Busy Bee cafe on MLK drive. I just moved near here, so expect a bigger review in Future.

I've gotta confess a weakness for island soul food! Slow-cooked, spicy rich chicken with cabbage and cornbread? ooh yes! Oxtails? Yes, ma'am! I highly recommend the All Island Cafe, out east of town on Memorial Drive. Go there to eat, and drink lemonade or home-made fruit punch with your chicken or 'tails. If you catch the timing just right - when the chicken's been marinating for hours, but the newer batch isn't up yet, you're in for an eye-watering, life-changing experience, let me tell you!

Please, good people, tell me more! Where are the unheard-of spots where good folks turn out great food?

Old 11-15-2010, 01:54 PM  
Beer Review Dude

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Matthew's Cafeteria in Tucker, GA serves great Southern food. They have turkey and dressing every Thursday that is to die for.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:01 PM  

Atlanta, GA
I think the standard is Mary Macs. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that one.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:49 PM  

Atlanta, GA
Check out the Sweet Auburn Curb Market, on Edgewood just between downtown and the interstate. They've got a Caribbean/African food place that's exactly what you're looking for, in addition to several other excellent eateries (Grindhouse burgers, for example), and a great meat market. The meat market sells mostly pork, in its constituent pieces or in the form of whole pigs.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:36 AM  

Atlanta, GA
Yeah, I'll have to say Matthews is the place to go. Worth the drive.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:45 PM  

Atlanta
Have you tried This Is It? There's several of them around the south side of town, but I think most of them are Carry out only. The closest one to me is on Old National Highway.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 PM  

Atlanta, Georgia
Thumbs Up Cafe on Edgewood has a great fried catfish and grits. Delicious. It may be the best place for bfast in the ATL, well that and the Highland Bakery. Thats another topic though.

Try 'Eats' downtown on Ponce.

I also have a weak spot for Donnie's Country Cooking in Lithonia. Eat there on the way to play Disc Golf sometimes.

Also possibly the old Mammy's Kitchen, it has a new owner and its now called 'Homegrown Resturant' - haven't been there yet. Maybe someone can weigh in.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:01 PM  

atlanta, GA
Mary Mac's Tea Room

Mary Mac's Tea Room on Ponce de Leon in Midtown!
Old 12-22-2010, 04:54 PM  

Atlanta, GA
Matthews cafeteria in Tucker isn't bad, Mary Mac's has ok food, but not the best, the colonnade has good fried chicken, but the crowd is mostly 60+ years old and makes it kind of depressing.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads