Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2011, 02:09 PM  
Traveler

Thinking about a potential business

I am brainstorming.

--I have taught in the arena of public education. Survived and finished with that. Elementary/Middle School--Language Arts--Literature, Remedial Reading, Spelling and Writing; and the Social Sciences and anything and everything that needed to be taught to whomever needed to learn in the style that met individual needs.

--Not for the faint of heart, I can assure you.

--Also, paralegal, retail, and temp work of assorted kinds. Catering was interesting--hospitality is my thing as well as 'The Arts/not the finest of arts --but music and art always make 'the medicine go down' a bit easier.

--I tell stories--that is the easiest and most enjoyable thing I do. Utilizing creative, dramatic abilities and my love of literature and history--particularly the history of the change of Atlanta, GA, for the better, jmo.

I have lived here over half a century and have confirmed that many do not know what Atlanta actually has to offer.

So why not tell people? Margaret Mitchell told her story and I read that story and now I have a story of my own to tell. Starting in the early 50's and thankfully continuing---lol --how long I will hold out is a good question.

That is what I think I need to do. Tell stories about Atlanta. NE Atlanta and surrounding areas. I have lived East, West, North and know something of the Southside. Just never really traveled as much as I would like--not a frequent flyer --but I have learned a good bit in the city data ATL forum. I am always open to learning something.

I have attended a few meetings over the years of 'SOS'--Southern Order of the Storytellers. That would be a good place to start. I couldn't do this professionally. I am not that great of an actress.

I work with adults--volunteer work--as an ESOL teacher. English Speakers of Other Languages. They want to learn--so different from many of my students. Lost cause in many cases, I conclude. What the future may bring for those who make such choices will not be pleasant, I fear.

First, write the stories. Then think of how I could make presentations. Then market myself.

Sounds pretty intimidating---but I will think some more.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.??'addymiller,inc.'---i made up that name--i am good at making up all kinds of things. lol
Should have gone to the 2nd City and then SNL

Old 06-18-2011, 02:33 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
First, write the stories. Then think of how I could make presentations. Then market myself.

Sounds pretty intimidating---but I will think some more.
A close friend took a job as an executive for a printing company and inherited the finish work on an historical coffee table book on Allentown & Bethlehem PA. The book, the photographs and the text are all superb but the book never sold. In the end it was her stubborn insistence to make the book a success that cost her her job. (if it smells like a dead fish don't try to sell it)

Those two cities are stereotypical East Coast rust belt survivors (barely) with heavily blue collar populations.
A local guide to the bars of Reading PA was an instant best seller. Unless you're a well established author of high repute it's hard to sell quality.

That said there is another market where story telling might be your edge and it's in children's books. If you could explain Atlanta's evolution through the eyes of kids you just might find a niche. I'd enjoy reading my own writings to kids.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:32 PM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
A close friend took a job as an executive for a printing company and inherited the finish work on an historical coffee table book on Allentown & Bethlehem PA. The book, the photographs and the text are all superb but the book never sold. In the end it was her stubborn insistence to make the book a success that cost her her job. (if it smells like a dead fish don't try to sell it)

Those two cities are stereotypical East Coast rust belt survivors (barely) with heavily blue collar populations.
A local guide to the bars of Reading PA was an instant best seller. Unless you're a well established author of high repute it's hard to sell quality.

That said there is another market where story telling might be your edge and it's in children's books. If you could explain Atlanta's evolution through the eyes of kids you just might find a niche. I'd enjoy reading my own writings to kids.
thanx--

I think what i will do is get in touch locally with some people--many churches do a lot to assist job seekers. I think what I want to do--is perhaps more non-profit or maybe a church related job? I enjoy that environment.

I haven't been attending regularly due to 'Life'. I have a good one. Always a good idea to start with an assist from the Higher Power. We'll see what works out.

One good thing. The state of mental healthcare in GA is in the pits--something is being done--never fast enough. Through some volunteers I heard that some innovative support--music/art/exercise/counseling is offered to those who are there for care/treatment. Some young, enthusiastic people are involved. I would really enjoy something like that. I taught many students with 'special needs'--behavioral, mental, emotional. Almost everyone today has such 'special needs'. sigh---Maybe things are getting better---always darkest before dawn, etc. I don't know. Certainly from what I see on TV --things would appear to be very bleak. Such garbage--pure filth in many cases. Minds can be destroyed from contact with that sort of 'ideas'.

Thankfully, I can read and enjoy music and life itself. I will think of something.

thanks again.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:36 PM  
Traveler

I applaud your efforts Addy, and welcome to the forum!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads