Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2010, 12:29 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78BO View Post
Leander ISD is great for kids that have average IQ's and normal behavior patterns. But if you have a hyper or active kid Leander Middle School for sure is horrible! Parents are supposed to just let their school do what ever they want and place your kid anywhere they want. The schools don't want to hear the parents ask questions. I'd stay out of Leander. Property values have dropped 20k. I bought in Sept 07 and the home values in my area are still down almost 20k (actual sales price).
I had more than one friend buy houses in Leander, then the bubble popped, now their stuck in the middle of Leander, and no new growth is coming, at least that's what they say.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:35 PM  
Supporting Member

Leander, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I had more than one friend buy houses in Leander, then the bubble popped, now their stuck in the middle of Leander, and no new growth is coming, at least that's what they say.
I wouldn't worry about it personally. Liberty Hill is blowing up, there's going to be a HEB up there soon and there's still plenty of growth happening around here.

Of course I am used to living on the northern fringes of Austin since I moved to Texas 11 years ago

Old 12-16-2010, 12:17 AM  

Texas
Don't discount Buda, Kyle, and San Marcos. They have good schools and the cost of living isn't terrible either.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:06 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
I wouldn't worry about it personally. Liberty Hill is blowing up, there's going to be a HEB up there soon and there's still plenty of growth happening around here.

Of course I am used to living on the northern fringes of Austin since I moved to Texas 11 years ago
I have an "Uncle" that lives in Liberty Hill and I used to date a girl out that direction. For a long time there was nothing out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33shooter View Post
Don't discount Buda, Kyle, and San Marcos. They have good schools and the cost of living isn't terrible either.
I like SM quite a bit. I'm not sure on the school system numbers, but I have enjoyed living here.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:13 PM  

Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78BO View Post
Leander ISD is great for kids that have average IQ's and normal behavior patterns. But if you have a hyper or active kid Leander Middle School for sure is horrible! Parents are supposed to just let their school do what ever they want and place your kid anywhere they want. The schools don't want to hear the parents ask questions. I'd stay out of Leander. Property values have dropped 20k. I bought in Sept 07 and the home values in my area are still down almost 20k (actual sales price).
We have 5 kids and have had a great experience with Leander ISD. One of our children has ADHD and the schools (elementary and now middle) have worked very closely with us in accommodating her needs. Our oldest daughter is in the Avid program at Vista Ridge HS and loves it. I do have to say, though, the property taxes are starting to get a little crazy!

The dip in property values are a result of the bubble in home prices that reached a peak a few years ago and recently burst, but home values are better off than most places. If you believe in "buy low/sell high", then getting in during a downturn is the thing to do.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:22 PM  

Austin, Texas
Quote:
I guess it depends on your definition of "growth". I'm not a fan of Schlitterbahn, but the City of Cedar Park ok'd them to open a water park in 2012 with a projected $2.5B in revenue to local businesses over 30 years.

The Cedar Park Center opened last year and is home to the Texas Stars minor league hockey team. The venue hosts many different types of events and is occassionally a music venue - Tool played there last year.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:54 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Guy View Post
I guess it depends on your definition of "growth". I'm not a fan of Schlitterbahn, but the City of Cedar Park ok'd them to open a water park in 2012 with a projected $2.5B in revenue to local businesses over 30 years.

The Cedar Park Center opened last year and is home to the Texas Stars minor league hockey team. The venue hosts many different types of events and is occassionally a music venue - Tool played there last year.
Been told houses just sit vacant and development has come to a stop.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:10 AM  

Austin, Texas
Quote:
Been told houses just sit vacant and development has come to a stop.
Well, I wouldn't call it "bustling" either =)

But it's what I want in a suburb - good schools, convenient shopping and a few things to do on the weekend without living in the downtown traffic with bars on every corner. But if I want to go to a busy bar downtown, it's only 15 minutes away.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:35 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Guy View Post
Well, I wouldn't call it "bustling" either =)

But it's what I want in a suburb - good schools, convenient shopping and a few things to do on the weekend without living in the downtown traffic with bars on every corner. But if I want to go to a busy bar downtown, it's only 15 minutes away.

I like Leander, I was just expressing what I've heard.

I grew up in Georgetown, not to far form you, I love the area.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:52 PM  

Austin, TX
Leander ISD is rated good, my kid does well and the schools feel very safe.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads