Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2010, 06:52 AM  

austin, tx
Growing Hops in Austin

Hi folks,

I've been doing some gardening around my house (which circuitously lead me to making homebrew) and I've been thinking about growing my own hops.

Has anyone out there done this in Austin? If so, which hops grow well? How much do you have to grow? What problems have you encountered?

I like a Newcastle kind of beer, so that might influence any input.

Thanks,
Kathie

Old 12-22-2010, 04:43 PM  
Supporting Member

Leander, Texas
I grew some Cascade a couple of years ago. Got about an ounce or 2 of dried hops when all was said and done that I used for dryhopping. Considering the amount of water I had to use on them they were probably the most expensive hops I've ever used :laughing:

Year after was so hot and dry that the vines dried up. this past summer we moved so I didn't bother growing any. I may try again next year

Friends of ours grew Cascade and Fuggle with similar luck

Old 12-23-2010, 06:22 AM  

austin, tx
From what I have seen from the people that have tried it, hops growing here is a pain the ass. It usually takes a few years to get good production from the plants, and our summers just get too hot to make year after year production worthwhile. Like JoeW said, it probably ends up being too expensive due to the water needed to keep them alive.

As for varieties, not sure what grow best, but seems mostly heartier american hops grow better than say english or german/european noble hops.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:19 AM  

Bastrop, Tx, Texas
I'm going to try and grow some Hops as soon as I can order them, still looking for the Best place to get them but have some time to look before it gets to late, any ideas????Thanks
Old 12-24-2010, 11:44 AM  

San Marcos, Texas
I think this is a really cool idea to bring the brewing process back a step to producing your own ingredients.

Please keep us updated on your project!
Old 12-24-2010, 02:40 PM  

Austin, TX, Texas
I am hoping to grow some come february
Old 12-28-2010, 08:04 PM  

Waco, TX
Isn't it too hot to grow hops in Texas?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:22 PM  

Austin, Texas
Not sure if it is too hot, but the sun in the summer on my garden plays havic on delicate plants. I bought a sun block that lets through about 30 percent of the light and the plants do well. BUT As pointed out by JoeW, it will cost a ton in water to keep a wet weather plant alive and well.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:20 PM  

Austin, Texas
How to Grow Hops - Home Brew Forums

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.