Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2010, 01:26 PM  

Austin
IH 35, you me and everyone.

Anyone else tired of the toll roads not working? They were supposed to be the thing that unclogged the city, but by making us pay for roads we already paid for, they just made it worse. Anyone else think TxDOT is a bunch of monkey people, out to make our lives miserable?

Old 08-27-2010, 02:02 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
Anyone else tired of the toll roads not working? They were supposed to be the thing that unclogged the city, but by making us pay for roads we already paid for, they just made it worse. Anyone else think TxDOT is a bunch of monkey people, out to make our lives miserable?
I doubt monkey people would think of something as dumb as toll roading the only usable section of Mopac.

I hate the traffic in Austin, it's terrible, the drivers aren't very good either.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:42 AM  

Rockwall
Austin traffic is enough to drive a person crazy, and heaven forbid there is an accident. I've used the toll-roads, yes, they're a nice break from the clogged IH 35, until the price-tag ruins it.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:35 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora06 View Post
Austin traffic is enough to drive a person crazy, and heaven forbid there is an accident. I've used the toll-roads, yes, they're a nice break from the clogged IH 35, until the price-tag ruins it.
Agreed. That and if I pay and get stuck, then I'm super angry.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:35 PM  

Austin, Texas
I've lived in other sates that used toll roads, and Austin REALLY screwed the pooch with how they did these.

Not to mention the money petering out for the Oakhill roadway. Goes from 6 lanes to 2 lanes that has a stop light......morons.

You have to remember how often the idea was shot down. They wore the masses down or snuck it under the door.

Don't get me started on the stupid mono-rail.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 AM  

Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93 View Post
I've lived in other sates that used toll roads, and Austin REALLY screwed the pooch with how they did these.

Not to mention the money petering out for the Oakhill roadway. Goes from 6 lanes to 2 lanes that has a stop light......morons.

You have to remember how often the idea was shot down. They wore the masses down or snuck it under the door.

Don't get me started on the stupid mono-rail.
There's nothing stupid about the Monorail. It put North Haverbrook on the map.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:01 AM  

Rockwall
I kind of like the idea of a monorail. All the buses clog campus and downtown streets up as it is now. Monorails use of a minimal amount of road space could be beneficial?
Old 08-31-2010, 09:07 AM  

Austin, Texas
Ridership is way down from what they expected. It took forever to get going and cost WAY too much money. The routing doesn't work as well as the buses do.

They money would have been better spent on upgrading the buses and cleaning up the bus stops.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 AM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
I was told back in the 70's/80's Austin was a really perfect size and culture. So everyone running for Council and Mayor ran on a "no roads" platform because they felt if they didn't build any major roads and rejected State/Federal money, Austin could not grow.

Then of course Austin grew without the major roads and now there is really no alternative, no space even.

I hate I35. I cannot get to Georgetown without coming to a complete stop at some point. No matter time of day or day.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:46 PM  

Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I was told back in the 70's/80's Austin was a really perfect size and culture. So everyone running for Council and Mayor ran on a "no roads" platform because they felt if they didn't build any major roads and rejected State/Federal money, Austin could not grow.

Then of course Austin grew without the major roads and now there is really no alternative, no space even.

I hate I35. I cannot get to Georgetown without coming to a complete stop at some point. No matter time of day or day.
I blame the drivers. In most traffic situations, there is no need for it to be jammed, its just a bunch of people who dont know how to merge.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Bookmark this Page!