Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 PM  

McKinney, Texas
I had a friend in the building across from the shooter in class. weird stuff, but i guess we're lucky the guy was just crazy instead of angry.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:18 PM  

Austin, Texas
One of my co-workers was in the building across the street.
She started texting me immediately and I was updating her from the news reports. She was frantic for information. A lot of folks were. They thought the "second" suspect was in their building.
Interestingly enough, she said the police came in to ask how many in the class held CCW permits, at which time they stationed those who raised their hands at the windows and doors to assist if needed.
So SOME gun totin' folks are still considered the good guys!

Old 10-08-2010, 10:11 AM  

Rockwall
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachedjeep View Post
My guess the guy had no intention of hurting anyone just wanted to make big scene of his suicide. From reports of witnesses he could have killed a few people easily if that was what he wanted to do.
I completely agree. The UT campus always resembles a human ant farm. If he wanted to shot someone, he had ample opportunities to do so. I think this situation shows a troubled soul begging for attention anyway he could get it, the sad part is the way he achieved it. At least no one else was taken down with him...
Old 10-14-2010, 03:23 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa in Texas View Post
She started texting me immediately and I was updating her from the news reports. She was frantic for information. A lot of folks were. They thought the "second" suspect was in their building.
Interestingly enough, she said the police came in to ask how many in the class held CCW permits, at which time they stationed those who raised their hands at the windows and doors to assist if needed.
The majority are good guys. You just don't read headlines that start "Local Man with Firearms had Boring Day" but it happens that way more often than not.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:11 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Quote:
That is awesome.. I'm glad you posted this info.. I'm almost shocked at the common sense approach LE took with the situation..
Old 10-14-2010, 06:45 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
I honestly didn't hear much details on all this.

Was listening to NPR today and they stated the shooter did not shoot at anyone, had access to shoot people and didn't, even wave to a security guard.

Rode the bus to the campus, put on a mask and pulled out the gun.

Guess he just wanted to commit suicide in a public fashion.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:08 PM  

Austin, Texas
Quote:
That's interesting since guns are not allowed on UT campus, even by CHL holders. Besides that, the police would be negligent if they set up civilians to act as assistants to law enforcement.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:25 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
That's interesting since guns are not allowed on UT campus, even by CHL holders. Besides that, the police would be negligent if they set up civilians to act as assistants to law enforcement.

I wouldn't say it was negligent. Not having the ability to protect them, it seems the next best thing would be a person certified to carry a firearm.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:37 AM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
College firearms policies are not laws, at least in any state that I know of. The fed law is for K-12 and daycare only, it is silent on college campus carry whether it be a state school or private.. The criminals pay attention to no carry laws and rules only because they almost insure a large risk free victim zone.. The bottom line is these no carry zones, by law or rule, are worthless feelgood liberal crap and will not deter a single criminal intent on killing one or many..

Everyone I know who attends a college that has a CCL carries daily, without exception. The worst that happens is you get expelled, but at least you have a chance to defend yourself and others..
Old 10-15-2010, 12:47 PM  

Austin, Texas
Texas Penal code

Texas, for one...
Quote:
Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.