Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2010, 08:54 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
South of the River

Anyone living in South Austin? The Mecca of all things weird? Anything new down there?

Old 09-08-2010, 02:57 PM  

Austin
I'm off of 290 but I have friends who live south. They ride the bus everyday to get to work. They say you can feel the change when you pass the river. I believe them.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:31 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
I used to live on South 1st and Lightsey. I think I have more funny/scary stories of living there then anywhere else combined.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:17 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I used to live on South 1st and Lightsey. I think I have more funny/scary stories of living there then anywhere else combined.
For instance?
Old 09-26-2010, 05:40 PM  

Austin, Texas
I live in the Slaughter Manchaca area of Austin. Far enough south that you start getting thick with rednecks and less hippies.

This place is growing scary fast. Southpark meadows was where you used to go for concerts, now you go there to buy pants, cafe mochas, and go to walmart

Used to me miles and miles of scrub-brush. Now it's cookie cutter houses, Apts and shopping/strip malls.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:51 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93 View Post
I live in the Slaughter Manchaca area of Austin. Far enough south that you start getting thick with rednecks and less hippies.

This place is growing scary fast. Southpark meadows was where you used to go for concerts, now you go there to buy pants, cafe mochas, and go to walmart

Used to me miles and miles of scrub-brush. Now it's cookie cutter houses, Apts and shopping/strip malls.
Yup, that there is called progress, it's terrible, and it's destroying the Urban landscape.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:28 PM  

Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93 View Post

I live off the east side of Slaughter. I grew up in Austin and moved away in the early 80's. Where I currently live used to be nothing but cow pastures.

Hell, I remember when Hill's Cafe was the South end of Austin and Ben White was just that!

I have to say, I get a kick out of giving the Slaughter Ln address to non Texans
Every one of them goes...
You live on WHAT lane?
Slaughter darlin'... like slaughter a cow
Old 10-20-2010, 01:28 PM  

Friendswood, Texas
Live in Houston but bought a condo in S. Austin last year to replace a beach house we lost due to Hurricane Ike. We plan on retiring in the Austin area so we wanted to check it out. We're near Manchaca and S Lamar and love it. Once we get in town we almost never have to drive. Walk to restaurants and we can run at Town Lake or the green belt without having to drive there.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:43 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I had an Apt. that direction. You live right around Crockett right?
Old 10-21-2010, 06:57 AM  

Friendswood, Texas
No, Crockett is east of Lamar. We're between W. Oltorf and Manchaca, by Kirby Ln.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Bookmark this Page!