Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2011, 09:33 AM  
Malignant Narcisisst

Bonita Springs, FL
Why should my wife want to move to Austin?

I have always wanted to move to Austin, its an amazing city. My wife, however, is unconvinced. She has told me that she would be willing to move if I got a job that pays enough so that she doesn't have to work. That's a bit of a stretch, IMO, but maybe some of you locals could help me out with a few reasons why she would love it.

We currently live in a small city in Florida that is wedged between two medium-sized cities. I grew up in Michigan, and she's a native Floridian. We actually live less than a mile from where she grew up. She has never lived in another town, but loves to travel. The problem is, any travel we do is at least a 3 hour road trip, with nothing but swamp or fields on either side of the road.

She works as an administrator in the medical field, and I am a manager with publishing/design/technology background. She is involved with our daughter's girl scouts troop, and I am into the 4x4/offroading world. We both enjoy live music, but she's scared about finding a babysitter in a new city, because her mom has always watched after our daughter when we go out.

She's apprehensive, I get that. But I'm from a family of nomads, and I am itching to experience somewhere new. Help me help her see that change is okay.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:04 PM  

Austin, Texas
Austin is a great town. I say town, because even though its a "city," it has a small town feel... very personal. Growing, so lots of job opportunity. Close enough to the coast as well as Houston and Dallas, which are big cities for that big city experience. Lots of hiking, nightlife, swimming holes, restaurants, attractions, etc etc etc etc.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:53 PM  

You don't want to move here. Its full. :-p

:-)
Old 01-21-2011, 07:42 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
What does she like to do? We got it.

edit: unless it's snow related.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:46 PM  

Austin, Texas
The babysitting issue is easily remedied.

Babysitters, Nannies, Child Care & Senior Home Care - Care.com

My girlfriend is a nanny and goes through that site when she needs a new position. They call the references and do background checks for you..
Old 01-25-2011, 12:23 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffmann808 View Post
The babysitting issue is easily remedied.

Babysitters, Nannies, Child Care & Senior Home Care - Care.com

My girlfriend is a nanny and goes through that site when she needs a new position. They call the references and do background checks for you..
Is that an agency, or is just a way to connect nannies with people who need them?
Old 01-25-2011, 04:22 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
It's a great City with life to it. Lots of art, public events, eclectic people. Austinites really support local businesses so you have a vibrant local niche economy.

Tons of Green space plus access to numerous Lakes and Rivers.

Great City, would not mind moving back.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:13 PM  

Austin, Texas
Personally, I'd say try living in Kyle or Buda. They're close enough to Austin to enjoy it, but far enough to be away from the BS taxes and terrible feel-good politics. Cost of living is lower and it has a very nice "small town" appeal that Austin has lost.

There is a new Hospital opening in Kyle and large hospitals in Austin and San Marcos.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:35 AM  
Jeeping Austin Weird.

Buda., Texas
I live out near the famous salt lick BBQ and I love it, not to far away from Austin, and the Texas hill country is amazing.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:45 PM  

Just moved from California. Not sure if all of these points will strike anything with you. Let me count the ways!

1. Unbelievable people and attitudes. Everyone seems friendly and is definitely a change of scene from the California snobs
2. Lakes - I'm a sucker for boats and love to spend the weekends on Lake Travis. They even have a BBQ tugboat that will bring BBQ to your boat on the lake!
3. Dog Friendly everything (Restaurants, parks, trails, etc)
4. Amazing Bike City. Trails, Veloways, paths, etc
5. Silicon Hills - The economy hasn't struck too hard and there should still be plenty of tech jobs for you (I know you're trying to convince your wife though).
6. Traffic. Not sure if you're from an area with bad traffic, but this is a godsend compared to california. Most locals don't typically agree with me. However, they've never experienced the Orange Crush at rush hour (405, 22, 5)
7. Alamo Drafthouse - The most amazing Movie Theater you will ever find. Food, Drinks, Quote-a-longs, etc, etc, etc
8. BBQ of course - Salt Lick, Rudy's, Texas Rib Kings, Stubs, and so much more
9. I could go on forever!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Bookmark this Page!