Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2010, 02:03 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
1994 F-350 460 v8

ok i figured i would take a sample of what you guys think. i've never dealt with water in my fuel before. heres the breakdown of events leading to where it is today

motor was replaced with a remanufactured one last year. 3k on the new motor. truck was driven to me last weekend by my father from oregon (1300 miles). he said it ran great the whole trip. i fill it up with gas (both tanks, about 40 gallons). i make it about 2 miles from the gas station and it starts to miss and backfire. gets worse and worse unitl i make it home (about 17 miles). now it won't start.

so far i have added a bottle of iso heet in each tank and swapped the filter. i also jumped the fuel pump and drained about 3 gallons of watery gas from each tank. put everything back together, still wont start. my next thought is i somehow fouled out my spark plugs. i pulled one out and grounded it while the engine was turning over and it was sparking, but i know open air spark and spark in the combustion chamber are two different things.

what are your thoughts?

Old 10-17-2010, 03:15 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
You might still have water in the fuel lines. Is it carburated or fuel injected?

Old 10-17-2010, 03:23 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
fuel injected
Old 10-17-2010, 04:50 PM  

460 huh?

Like buying gas?
Old 10-17-2010, 05:42 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
how is that relevant?
Old 10-17-2010, 06:08 PM  

It was more of an observation.

As for the water in the fuel, if you drain both tanks, fill them back up with fresh gas, and add an injector cleaner that should do it.

Plus when you do it I would change both fuel filters again.

(maybe try this on one tank first)

I don't think water in the fuel would mess with the spark plugs.

The worst that could happen would be the water in the fuel rusted the inside of both tanks and your fuel filter keeps getting clogged.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:24 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
the water was only in there for a couple days. as far as i know, i only have one filter that both tanks feed through. i let it sit just long enough to let the water settle to the bottom, then i puled the filter and jumped the pump relay so it would push fuel without turning the truck over. i did that unitl i got good gas (about 3 gallons each). i dunno, maybe ther is still water in the injector lines. not sure how to clear that. do you think if i turned it over with the schrader valve open that would clear it out?
Old 10-17-2010, 06:45 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
One thing I am thinking of at the moment to check to see if there is still water in the fuel lines is to pressurize the fuel system then using a little cup (to catch the fuel) release the pressure at the end of the fuel rail, there is a small relief valve there that looks like a tire valve. Try that to see if there is water in the rail? Just a thought.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:47 PM  

Crack the injector lines and crack it a few times till clean fuel spits out.

One things for sure, never go to that gas station again!
Old 10-17-2010, 06:48 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
the water was only in there for a couple days. as far as i know, i only have one filter that both tanks feed through. i let it sit just long enough to let the water settle to the bottom, then i puled the filter and jumped the pump relay so it would push fuel without turning the truck over. i did that unitl i got good gas (about 3 gallons each). i dunno, maybe ther is still water in the injector lines. not sure how to clear that. do you think if i turned it over with the schrader valve open that would clear it out?
Sorry didnt read this post before I posted. But it looks like your thinking along the same lines as me.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads