Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2010, 08:30 AM  

I just wish Ford would sign a deal with Cummins, but NOOO, ford goes and pisses off International/Navistar and stops buying their engines, and what do they do?

They make their OWN engine that sucks even more then the 6.0!

They could have saved ALOT of money just buy making a deal with Cummins and didn't waste their time on a ****ty engine.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:08 AM  

Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
Every now and then one of those Rabbits pops up around here. If I could find one that wasn't all rotted out, I'd consider it for bombing around town! A family friend had one that she got near 50mpg on the highway with.

They have the same appeal to me as my old Benz. Noisy, smelly and slow.
Yes, we got around 55 mpg. The engine kept on ticking, but everything else around it fell apart. I can't imagine finding one now that wouldn't require massive work.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:52 AM  

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Morgan View Post
I just wish Ford would sign a deal with Cummins, but NOOO, ford goes and pisses off International/Navistar and stops buying their engines, and what do they do?

They make their OWN engine that sucks even more then the 6.0!

They could have saved ALOT of money just buy making a deal with Cummins and didn't waste their time on a ****ty engine.
Actually Ford was pissed over the 6.0. Int/Navi built the 6.4L which was supposed to be the solution. They had tons of problems out of those as well so they ended the relationship. Ford got smart - they let Bosch design the fuel system, they let Garrett design the turbo system, they put all that on top of a motor they are building. I doubt you'll hear anyone ever admit it, but that plan for developing an engine was used long ago - Isuzu did it, and you know who uses Isuzu engines in their HD trucks...
Old 11-18-2010, 10:16 AM  

georgetown, colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bars View Post
for the love of your sanity do not buy a 6.0L powerstroke
lol, thats whats my dad said, if i buy a powerstroke it will be 99-02. 7. ftw
Old 11-18-2010, 08:15 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bars View Post
Actually Ford was pissed over the 6.0. Int/Navi built the 6.4L which was supposed to be the solution. They had tons of problems out of those as well so they ended the relationship. Ford got smart - they let Bosch design the fuel system, they let Garrett design the turbo system, they put all that on top of a motor they are building. I doubt you'll hear anyone ever admit it, but that plan for developing an engine was used long ago - Isuzu did it, and you know who uses Isuzu engines in their HD trucks...

I my opinion, the 6.0 and 6.4 engines are good engines, they were just used in the wrong application, these are bus engines, not truck engines, busses don't need all the EGR crap that trucks do, if it wasn't for that, then they would be just fine.

And the 6.7 is still too new for me to start bashing it, I just thing for the money they spent on it, they could have signed a deal with Cummins and started selling trucks hand over fist.

And yes, the 6.7 Cummins has it's down falls too, but with how good the 5.9 was I know Cummins will make an even better engine.

And urea!?!

Who wants to keep having to fill up a urea tank all the time just for emissions?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:14 AM  

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Morgan View Post
I my opinion, the 6.0 and 6.4 engines are good engines, they were just used in the wrong application, these are bus engines, not truck engines, busses don't need all the EGR crap that trucks do, if it wasn't for that, then they would be just fine.

And the 6.7 is still too new for me to start bashing it, I just thing for the money they spent on it, they could have signed a deal with Cummins and started selling trucks hand over fist.

And yes, the 6.7 Cummins has it's down falls too, but with how good the 5.9 was I know Cummins will make an even better engine.

And urea!?!

Who wants to keep having to fill up a urea tank all the time just for emissions?
The 6.0 problems are two fold. The emissions crap the trucks are required to have opened up a lot of problems. The other big problem is that the International Application 6.0s don't have nearly the horsepower of the Ford applications. But with GMs introduction of the D-max in 01, and the coming common rail cummins in 03, Ford knew they'd never sell a truck without the extra power. So they raised the power output on a motor that wasn't designed for it. That's why the lawsuits between Ford and Int/Navi are still going on - Ford says "you didn't build a good motor" - Navi says "you forced us to push it past its design limits and signed off on it" blah blah blah.

The Cummins are great motors. With the emissions crap removed (I did NOT just recommend doing that since I work at a very legit diesel repair shop), they 6.7 is jsut as reliable as the 5.9s. Only problem is, Dodge has that contract. And Dodge knows if they lose the Cummins, they'll never sell another HD truck.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:35 AM  

Thornton, Co
Mine is a 2000 F250. Love the powerstroke.
Might like to do a Dodge someday, the Cummins is awesome.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:28 PM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariatbob View Post
Mine is a 2000 F250. Love the powerstroke.
Might like to do a Dodge someday, the Cummins is awesome.
The CUMMINS motor is the only thing I like about Dodge trucks.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:40 PM  

Wasilla, Alaska
It is sad to hear all the bad reports of modern diesel trucks. I have a need coming up to get a truck to haul my RV trailer and was planning on an F250 diesel. I thought a 2000 to 2004 would be a good range for my budget, and do like the modern conveniences, but it sounds like anything over '95-98 is going to be a nightmare. Cummings is a well respected name, Dodge...not so much. So can a Cummings/Allison combo be put in a newer Ford? I wouldn't mind working the deal, but what are the roadblocks?
Old 11-25-2010, 05:04 PM  

You can buy conversion kits, you just have to do the work, or you could sent it to a shop and have a huge bill.

here's a website: fordcummins.com - Increase Horsepower with Ford Cummins Diesel conversion kits

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.