Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2011, 08:57 AM  

Montreal, QC
Brakes squeaking after new brakes installed

I replaced the rotors and pads on my 93 Intrepid.
I did the job myself and used anti-squeal compound behind the pads and
still they squeak when I gently apply the brakes.
The harder I brake, the quieter they are.
Any remedies to this?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:32 AM  

Could be a few things. First, if it was just done, the squeaking could just be the pad seating to the rotor. Second, when installing the pads, did you make sure the warning sensor spring metal (to warn of worn out brakes) was adjusted correctly? Third, you may have opted for a long mileage pad. These pads are notorious for squeaking because of their hardness. I would run it fast in reverse and apply the brakes very hard, just short of skidding. This will seat the pads faster.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:48 PM  

Montreal, QC
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Could be a few things. First, if it was just done, the squeaking could just be the pad seating to the rotor. Second, when installing the pads, did you make sure the warning sensor spring metal (to warn of worn out brakes) was adjusted correctly? Third, you may have opted for a long mileage pad. These pads are notorious for squeaking because of their hardness. I would run it fast in reverse and apply the brakes very hard, just short of skidding. This will seat the pads faster.
havasu thanks for your info.
1. yes they were done 2 weeks ago.
2. The warning sensors had plenty room and aren't the squeal.
3. The pads are the standard OEM and not ceramic.

The vehicle is a 1993 Intrepid with 69,000 Kilometers.
I had the same problem with my last vehicle, a 1990 Jeep YJ. This is where I bought the anti-squeal compound and applied it to the pads and also used a file to remove the edge on the pads. Tricks I learned in time.
BTW I am 49 and have a mechanics diploma since 1979. But have made a living as a truck driver.
But since they no longer make asbestos pads, I have noticed this problem more and more in the years leading up to today.
This one has me stumped. I thought I'd ask here and see what other tricks can come to light.

I know the pad material has a lot to do with it and it's all about high frequency vibrations, hell... I even have the same problem with new pads on my Harley. But there's gotta be a foolproof way?!

The squeal just drives me nuts knowing the labor and attention to details like the torque of every bolt including the lug nuts I wasted time with.... only to start all over again
Old 05-06-2011, 05:31 PM  

When I purchased pads for my Harley, I went aftermarket and they squeaked like hell. I then replaced with OEM and that solved the problem. On my YJ, I replaced the rotors in lieu of turning them, and purchased OEM pads, and they didn't squeal as well. All I can recommend at this point is either try a different (softer) aftermarket pad, or tough it out until they wear in at which time they should quiet down.

If all else fails, a .40 cal bullet would stop the squeal, but wouldn't work too good for stopping!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:41 PM  

Montreal, QC
Well this is great to hear! We both have/had the same vehicles in Jeep and Harley!
Yes you are right, and I thought this was my only choice too.
I've been following a Porsche site where they have the same problem with OEM parts. There seems to be a method they use to brake them in.
I think I'll try this 60 MPH and hard braking a few times before giving up on these parts. It's worth a try.

Anyway, cheers and thanks for your input.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:59 PM  

Never had a brake problem with the Porsche, but then again, after my first $1200 oil change and spending $450 for each tire, I slapped the for sale sign on it!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!