Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2010, 09:05 PM  

Charlottesville, VA
Dual Sport Motorcycles

I have discovered one of my new favorite things to do. My boyfriend has a KTM and I just got a little Suzuki DR200. After one ride with him on some jeep trails, I went to the Shenandoah 500 with him this past weekend. I love it so much! The best forum for discussing dual sport bikes and riding is Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum, but I thought I'd add a thread about it here too. We have a jeep and love taking our jeep out too, but the bikes are a whole new level of fun.

With the exception of launching myself out of stream crossing into a downed tree and hurting my shoulder a bit, I got through the whole weekend of riding and loved every bit of it (even my wreck I was proud of)...

I have also posted more about my experience on my Mollys Forum (Molly's Forum - Index) to help motivate other women to try this very fun sport. There were more than 200 men and 5 women at the even this past weekend! I'd love to find more girls to ride with!
Dual Sport Motorcycles-s500-stream-crossing.jpg 

Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
i have always wanted to buy a dual sport (r1200 adventure :drool. its just money keeping me from it now. maybe next year...

moving this thread to automotive

Old 10-12-2010, 11:11 AM  

Charlottesville, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
i have always wanted to buy a dual sport (r1200 adventure :drool. its just money keeping me from it now. maybe next year...

ah money... that annoying little thing that gets in the way all the time doesn't it... i hear ya ... maybe you can use tax money towards one, that's how i got this one.

i had a harley for several years and sold it because of money too... i'm still looking for the money tree so i don't have to be limited by a budget.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:40 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
once i pay the jeep off, i think i'll get a bike. dual sports are deffinatly the way to go...
Old 10-13-2010, 06:05 AM  

Charlottesville, VA
Good to hear! Pay the jeep off fast then

This weekend we are heading out again for a little riding fun... can't wait! It was going to be a jeep weekend, but we switched it up and making jeep weekend the following one.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:08 AM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
I have been looking into the dual's as my next bike.They have the all around features that are nice. however if you read the reviews no one manufacturer has really perfected it yet.

I have the dirt(KTM) and have always played on dirt a little besides the Jeep and I have a couple street bikes. But I do like the idea of having both.

Now there are competitions made especially for some of the dual sports so that is nice.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:52 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicase50 View Post
if you read the reviews no one manufacturer has really perfected it yet.
you should really look into bmw's gs series. they have been making them for years and they are as perfected as anyother motorcycle... i have ridden one a few times. powerful smooth and tough...
Old 10-13-2010, 07:49 PM  

Charlottesville, VA
I work with a girl that rides nothing but BMW, and get this ... she is PAID to ride the bikes because she writes about them for their magazine. Yes I am JEALOUS. I'll try to get her to join this forum and add to our thread here ... she'll be a great resource if she'll write for free.

But my boyfriend has ridden a Suzuki DR650 for years and just this year got a beautiful KTM ... I think it's a 625 SXC. He absolutely loves it. I have the feeling that the BMW would have the only similar problem to the KTM ... expensive parts. If he broke something on the DR, not a big deal... the KTM can nickel and dime you away, BUT if it's a good ride you are looking for I am quite sure he would say it's at/near the top. I'm going to see what my friend at work says about KTM and BMW... hell, she's probably written for KTM too.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:02 AM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
KTM is said to be amazing, I guess comfort is just one of the issues. I am just not a huge fan of BMW's all around. Just me.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:01 PM  

Valley Center, California
That DR200 is a fun little bike for sure. I love riding dualsports. Throw on a pack and get out of town. Great way to go since so many trails have been closed to unlicensed vehicles. I currently ride a KTM 640 LC4.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads