Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2010, 12:26 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
fix it ticket for factory tint

i dont get how its legal for jeep to sell factory tint if its not 50 state legal...

Old 10-03-2010, 08:02 PM  

Middleburg, Florida
If you bought the Jeep from a dealership that's in the town where you got the ticket take the Jeep back to them and make them fix it.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:08 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
We are surrounded by idiots.. Fight it, hopefully you have better luck than this guy..

Maryland Judge Declares Pontiac G8 GT's Factory Taillights Illegal; Tells Car Owner To Get A Different Car [Updated: Or Maybe Not...] | Techdirt
Old 10-03-2010, 08:57 PM  

The only true "factory" tint is inbedded in the glass, not film on the outside of the glass. Each state also has allowable percentages of film, but in California, any film applied to the front side or windshield is considered illegal. They are usually in a light, medium, dark, limo, double limo, or mirror finish. Most cops won't mess with medium or light tint, but it does allow them to stop you as "probable cause" just to see if you are licensed, insured, under the influence, etc.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:33 PM  
Tea Party Liberal

Mesa, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
The only true "factory" tint is inbedded in the glass, not film on the outside of the glass. Each state also has allowable percentages of film, but in California, any film applied to the front side or windshield is considered illegal. They are usually in a light, medium, dark, limo, double limo, or mirror finish. Most cops won't mess with medium or light tint, but it does allow them to stop you as "probable cause" just to see if you are licensed, insured, under the influence, etc.
And it gets 'better': in some states you can be passing through in your Arizona registered vehicle with its legal 35% window tint and can still get a 'fix-it' ticket. Supposedly the exact scenario occurred in Virginia and the magistrate there demanded that the motorist remove the tint in question and supply proof (even though the vehicle was back in Az) that it had been done prior to cancelling the citation.

What would hilarious would be, say an AzDPS (highway patrol) car with its aftermarket front tinted windows was working just across the border from here and the CHP tried to give the Az trooper grief. That would be very bad ju-ju since approximately 50 miles on either side of the Ca/Az border, each state's PD's have limited jurisdiction in the other state. In fact, several CHP officers complete with their squads live here in Arizona-----including one in Lake Havasu City.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:06 PM  

sharana, afghanistan
some areas of ohio will give you a razor and have you peel it on side of road, if you refuse they have it towed
Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 AM  

The tinted window topic has been such a heated debate on Jeep Forum, and usually the cops get bashed for speaking their minds. I also know cops are notorious for citing others when their own personal vehicles have it, but it is the percentages that confuses people. I hated to walk up on a tint so dark that I didn't know if there were gangsters in the car with guns pointed at me or an old blue hair grandmother with her cane on her lap. I've always used the rule of thumb if I can see who is inside, it's OK with me.

Not to start a novel, but the citing across state lines can be done if the local state feels it is a safety aspect, regardless of whether it is legal or not in the home state where the vehicle came from.

Since I'm retired, I really don't care. I have 50% (medium) tint on all my cars, and if I get a ticket, I will just take it off, get the ticket signed off, and replace it immediately. Yep, it costs a few bucks, but it is not a moving violation, and it gives me a chance to have fresh tint.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:18 AM  

Middleburg, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnemovr View Post
some areas of ohio will give you a razor and have you peel it on side of road, if you refuse they have it towed
Now that's ridiculous. High quality tint, especially tint that has been on for a long time you won't be able to get all the glue and residue off. If you have rear defrosters you could damage them as well.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:54 AM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Man, I really get pissed off just thinking about this... And I don't even do the tint thing..
Old 10-04-2010, 12:12 PM  

In California, the rear can be as dark as you want, provided you have both a left and right side rear view mirrors.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.