Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2011, 10:06 AM  

New car purchase help

I am preparing for the major headache of shopping for a new car. I've heard (and tried) of wearing poker faces, don't mention trade in's until the new car has been purchased, demanding a cash discount, looking for the buried car that was used in the cheap sales promotion, which they always say it was sold minutes before you got there, etc.

With the vast members here, I would like to know what works best for you for landing the best possible price and leaving the dealership satisfied?

Old 03-12-2011, 10:12 AM  
Decent human being

Renton, WA
I do a lot of research on what kind of car(truck) I want. Then I figure out how much I want to pay. Then I dont budge from that price. The way I figure it, I dont care who I buy the vehicle from but they(sales person) care who I buy it from.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:28 PM  

Sammamish, WA
I go on the last day or two of the month, better yet when the weather has been bad so they have not sold many cars and want to meet their monthly
quota. Then don't fall in love with the first one you test drive. Remember there are many other dealers out there selling the same cars. Start about 20% under sticker, and if after some "back and forth" they don't agree to at least 15% off just walk away and try again elsewhere. The last two I bought were for
16% and 22% lower than the sticker. This will not work on the very popular cars like the Honda CRV, many other Hondas and Toyotas, which people seem willing to pay full price for, so the dealers won't bend much if at all.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:11 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I find the best incentive is to wave the cash under a dealers nose. Let them see it and let them smell it. Then put it back in your pocket and start talking.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:13 AM  

Greenville, SC
I am no help because I do not buy from car dealers. The last time I tried, it was for a Jeep and the salesman wouldn't ever tell me the price for the vehicle. He just kept asking if I was going to trade in my van. I kept saying " I don't know yet, lets work out the price first." It seemed like we just kept going around in circles so I left. (Oh, it was a used Jeep, not new.) I do definitely agree that if you ARE going to go through a dealer, I wouldn't work out the trade until I had a solid price for the vehicle. And I don't know your financial situation, but it is nice if you don't have to finance. If you do though, I would recommend a credit union not affiliated with the dealer. That way, the dealer can't screw you through the financing.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:13 PM  

Hey Havasu!

I'm actually a car salesman and can help you out if need be. I buy and sell cars all day long at a very reputable Honda AND Toyota dealership in Manhattan KS.

The best bit of advice that I can give you is to find one particular car that you like the most. Not an actual car, but one that can be found in many different places that are all very similar.

After you've finally settled on one exact kind of car that you would like, be sure to talk to all the dealerships telling them that you're interested in their car, but that you're also shopping them against other dealerships.

Deciding that you're only going to pay 80% or 85% of a vehicles sticker price will often lead you to miss out on deals because cars will sell for more than that amount. A lot of times, if you become too bullheaded about price, you'll end up walking away without a car.

Shop multiple dealerships. Make sure they know about each other. Let them bid for your business against each other.

Here's my last bit of advice. USE THE INTERNET TO YOUR ADVANTAGE! Find other places selling the same vehicle and use their sale prices as leverage against the dealership.

-Matt

PS. Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:10 AM  

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbobs View Post
Hey Havasu!

Deciding that you're only going to pay 80% or 85% of a vehicles sticker price will often lead you to miss out on deals because cars will sell for more than that amount. A lot of times, if you become too bullheaded about price, you'll end up walking away without a car.
And if he knows what he can afford or is willing to pay for the car, and the dealer can't meet that, then that's exactly what he should do.

FWIW, I haven't bought a brand new car in a LLLLOOONNNGGGG time. If you can find one that's only a year or two old, certified and still has the full warranty, you will get a much better deal and let some other sucker take the "off the lot deprecation" hit.

If you insist on buying brand new, just remember you don't have to have that brand new car TODAY. If they won't deal with you, leave and go home. Many times a day or two of waiting and they'll call you more willing to deal.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:15 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bars View Post
Many times a day or two of waiting and they'll call you more willing to deal.
Not always. Car dealerships are in business to make money. They're not going to sell a car if they're going to lose money on the deal.

Being stubborn won't buy you a car. Do some research, find out what invoice is on a car and be reasonable about pricing. No dealership will sell for thousands below invoice, but most will sell for right at invoice.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:50 PM  

I was told there are always two sets of invoices on a new car. One which could be provided if asked, and the other which doesn't leave the manager's office. Is this true?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:23 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
I find the best incentive is to wave the cash under a dealers nose. Let them see it and let them smell it.
I used "I want this car and I'll be paying cash, can we work that out?"

Unsurprisingly they could.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!