Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2010, 02:34 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Tire recommendations

So the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's just ain't cuttin it on my 94 XJ anymore. It's lifted 4 inches, and the tires are 32X11.5"'s. With two kids, my baby's mainly my DD, so she spend about 95% of her time on the road. I just feel bad eating up those pretty Mickey Thompson's with just highway/road miles.

So I'm looking to get some other, less aggressive tires. I'm looking for some recommendations. I don't want them to be 100% street tires, because they will see some off-roading as well, but my main focus is longevity. Tires ain't cheap!

DISCUSS!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 12-15-2010, 06:08 AM  

Sammamish, WA
I have been really happy with the Firestone Destination ATs on my 4x4 Ranger, aggressive enough for mild rock climbing yet not bad for highways. I'd figure 1 mpg less and just enough road noise to remind you that you have off road tires on. If you want to smooth it out even more and your only off road is light gravel/dirt, my wife's Liberty has the destination LEs. Both do really well on snow and ice.

Check the reviews on tirerack.com, both have good ratings and longevity.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:43 PM  

Albany, OR
To be honest, although I wish this wasn't the case because they're so damn popular in the NW, the Toyo Open Country M/T is one of the best tires you can buy now. They have exceptional traction, great highway characteristics and to top it all off, an exceptional life. Only downside I can see about them is their price...they can be quite spendy.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:05 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
How spendy are we talking? If you guys have personal experience with a tire, could you also post the price?

I'm looking into Wrangler AT's - I had those on an old Wrangler on mine, and they lasted forever.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:14 PM  

Nashville, TN
Jake, I've got to second the Toyo's. I've had a set on my F-350 4X4 diesel for about a year and a half, 30,000 mi's and they still look like new. I liked them enough that I just put a set on my wifes Grand Cherokee. Ride nice, fairly quiet and just had the jeep out in the snow and they are really good in snow, wet or dry conditions. I think they were just shy of $600 out the door.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:04 AM  

Albany, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
How spendy are we talking? If you guys have personal experience with a tire, could you also post the price?

I'm looking into Wrangler AT's - I had those on an old Wrangler on mine, and they lasted forever.
I've got 33x13.50R15's on my jeep, truly can't say anything negative about them other than the price, $280 per tire mounted, or $1120. Luckily I got mine used with 98% tread for $580 mounted
I haven't had them long enough to comment on their longevity personally, but I've had two close friends get a proven 35,000 miles out of them, I have no doubt in them.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:28 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
Jake, I've got to second the Toyo's. I've had a set on my F-350 4X4 diesel for about a year and a half, 30,000 mi's and they still look like new. I liked them enough that I just put a set on my wifes Grand Cherokee. Ride nice, fairly quiet and just had the jeep out in the snow and they are really good in snow, wet or dry conditions. I think they were just shy of $600 out the door.

I'm seriously considering those - that's a great price! What model toyo's did you use? I don't know much about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max713 View Post
I've got 33x13.50R15's on my jeep, truly can't say anything negative about them other than the price, $280 per tire mounted, or $1120. Luckily I got mine used with 98% tread for $580 mounted
I haven't had them long enough to comment on their longevity personally, but I've had two close friends get a proven 35,000 miles out of them, I have no doubt in them.

I'm interested in stepping up to 33's over my 32's - mainly because I'll probably be cutting my fenders here in the next 6 months or so, so I don't want my 32's to look too much like babies with all that wiggle room.

How's your road noise? On my Wrangler it was pretty much non-existent, but they were only 30's or 31's I believe. My Mickey Thompson's are freaking loud, especially on the highway, of course.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:09 AM  

Sammamish, WA
In your climate the Wranglers might be OK, but here in the NW I got rid of sets on both the Ranger and Liberty because they were so lousy on snow, ice and even rain. On the Ranger they had 30,000 miles and still had 90% of the tread so they do last, but I was tired of fishtailing on wet roads, which is 10 months of the year.

The Destinations ATs ran about $500/set at a sale with buy 3 get one free, and the LEs were just a bit less.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
bfg mud terrain km2. fantastic off road, quiet on road, not to mention you could probably get a set of take offs from a rubicon...
Old 12-16-2010, 09:31 AM  

appleton, wi
Try looking at a multi-mile tire. always had good luck with them. right now i'm runnin chapperall tires on my wrangler and so far so good. i always look for the off brands mainly because i'm cheap.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Automotive
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.