Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2010, 03:54 PM  

Baltimore, MD
Squires is good

also little Italy is good on a drunken ramble

but my new fav is Johnny Rad's on eastern ave.
where Kelly's used to be

Old 11-10-2010, 10:21 AM  

Chicago, Illinios
Bagby Pizza Co.--- Awesome pizza & the prices are good. Lots of different options for toppings.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:06 AM  

Baltimore, Maryland
For me, it's all about Isabella's in Little Italy. Real brick oven in a tiny little place. I think there's only three tables in the whole place. The Stuarto pizza is a prosciutto 'za and is the best! Plus, the owner is a real character.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:50 PM  

Baltimore, MD
Just had pizza from nacho mamas in canton last night

got the godfather and it was good!!
Old 12-08-2010, 03:27 PM  

baltimore, md
If you are out late (drunk) in federal hill go to maria d's. the line is always long but its well worth the wait. Great stuff.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:44 AM  

Baltimore, Maryland
I never did get the Squire's or Mathews thing. Crackery tasting crust and sauce that wasn't all that but hey, to each his own.

The old Dominics Pizza on Harford Rd. in Parkville was the ultimate back in the day when Dominic and his wife ran the show. Their store was about the size of a phone booth and he would be slapping dough out right at the front counter while the standing room in front of him was just about enough to squeeze three people into. No matter what time you ordered, and what time he said it would be ready, you always ended up waiting 20 or 30 minutes once you arrived. In the winter you'd see a dozen people standing out on the street chattering there teeth off waiting, but wait they did 'cuz it was straight awesome.

Now a number of years back two brothers that used to run the kitchen at Squires in Dundalk bought the place and they quickly proceeded to totally destroy the business. Dominic used to make fresh dough every day, grind and blend his own sausage and cheese, and everything was fresh. All of the sudden we were being served flash cooked kibble sausage and defrosted frozen dough crusts. It was terrible. Some time later the business changed hands and the improvement has been tremendous. Although they still aren't back to 100% of Dominic's original methods of everything fresh daily, they have gotten a lot better than the Pizza Hut, Pappa John's, Dominos alternatives. They still make a King size (I think it's like 18" or so) and if you order a Sicilian style you'll be eatin' cold pizza for a week. A three topping Sicilian King size well done feels like it weighs about 20 lbs. Two slices is about it even for a pizza pig like me.

Casa Mia's in the Perring Plaza shopping center is also a great pie. Most of the places (like Mathews I think) that still use the old deck ovens with the drop down door generally have a better bake on their crust. The conveyor ovens just don't quite match it, although some of the gas fired ones like the Marshall Middleby's come pretty close. Casa Mia's is great as long as you remember to tell them well done. Most of the help speaks Spanish rather than Italian, so to them a pizza is done when the crust looks like a flour tortilla. Otherwise Casa Mia's is first rate in taste and freshness.
Season's? Drive another block and give Casa Mia's a try. You won't be disappointed. Besides, they have a beer and wine license so you can sit and stare at the boob tube while havin' a tasty beverage and awaiting your pie, (Sierra Nevada is usually on tap).
Old 12-15-2010, 09:36 PM  

Baltimore, Maryland
Personal Favourite:

Iggies in Mt. Vernon

Page 1
Old 12-20-2010, 06:19 PM  

Baltimore, Maryland
While I haven't had a chance to try most of the great pizzerias listed in this thread, I would recommend Pasta Mista. They have 3 locations in Canton, Towson, and Timonium. I've been to all 3 and they are very consistently similar.

The crust is my favorite in Maryland...since it is very reminiscent of NY pizza. Would highly recommend it if you like specialty slices as well. They have about a dozen different kinds and they are all look as good as they taste.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:11 PM  

Raleigh, NC
Matthew's by leaps and bounds for me.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:31 PM  

Baltimore, Maryland
Sorrento's in Catonsville/Arbutus is my favorite. Martha and Mary's has decent pizza in the Reisterstown area.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Bookmark this Page!