Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2010, 12:40 PM  

Dundalk, as bad as they say?

I've heard some pretty terrible stuff about Dundalk. Any truth to the rumors? I'm looking into property, my agent says stay away from there, won't tell me why. Looking for some help. Does anyone recommend an area?

Old 12-20-2010, 06:32 PM  

Baltimore, Maryland
Depending on the type of investment property you're looking for, I'd agree with your agent in almost every situation.

If you're looking for commercial investment property, it's not the worst place to look. But if we're talking about residential property or land, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. School systems consistently underperform, crime is abundant in pockets throughout the zip code, and flooding is an issue in some parts of Dundalk so flood insurance premiums are high throughout.

I'm sure that the prices of property in 21222 make it very tempting. Hoever it all depends on whether you're willing to potentially be stuck with property in an area that is not considered desirable by many people familiar with Baltimore county.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:41 PM  

Baltimore, Maryland
There's a lot of good people in Dundalk even if we make fun of them almost constantly. Most of the residents have lived their through several generations. It's mostly blue collar families. Urban sprawl has made it a bit rough, though, so I can understand your agent's stance.

Like UltraMagnus said, though, it depends on what type of property you're talking about. I personally would not buy a house in Dundalk only because it's future isn't looking very bright.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:21 PM  

I worked up in Middleriver with a guy from Dundalk. I asked him what the deal was and he told me a story about the railroad being built way back in the day. They supposedly brought in a good deal of labor from West Virginia. Which explains the strange qualities of the people. Everytime I go to Dundalk I can't wait to get out of the area. A lower class area which is fully integrated with your ghetto wannabes and your truck driving/ camo wearing kkk type hicks. Who knows if the story is true, but I like to stay in areas where racism is a little less prevalent. Not that it is easy on this side of the country.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:23 PM  
LM3

Dundalk is what you make of it. There is a lot of new construction that hopefully will help.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 PM  

It would help to know your backround. If you're from outside of the Baltimore Market Area, then you may want to get a closer look at what you're getting into. There are a lot of up and coming areas around Greater Baltimore. Dundalk doesn't exactly ring that bell, then again, if you know what you're getting into, this may work for you. Residential? Commercial? Checkout the Baltimore City planning department's websote for information on what's moving and shaking. A lot of investment properties in Baltimore border some sketchy areas. Even the "safe" areas in the city have problems.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 PM  

Is any place safe?
Old 02-17-2011, 04:23 AM  

Who says its bad???? A few of my favorite restaurants are in the area.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads