Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Buffalo
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 PM  

Rockport, Texas
Buffalo Real Estate Thread

I love going to Buffalo and looking at the old buildings. Many are cheap compared to the rest of the country and the architecture is divine.

On the other hand taxes are extremely high and the population continues to decline. Basically its declined every year from its peak in 1946.

I'd love to have a summer home there if it were practical and I could afford it.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:44 AM  

Buffalo, NY
There are areas outside the city were there are old farmhouse type homes were the taxes aren't quite as high. You can pretty much be in the city in 25 minutes from any of the suburbs practically. It really is a shame that this city has slipped into such a mess it really was and could be again a great place to live if you could make a living here without having to hand most of it over to the various government agencies that are so ready and willing to take it.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:38 PM  

Rockport, Texas
Actually I love Buffalo because of all the old buildings- it would be a disaster to tear them all down.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:25 PM  

Ugh.

It's really not that much of a mess. There are some great neighborhoods as well as some not so great. The art and theater scene is nationally known. There are a large variety of restaurants and bars. It's also becoming a big beer scene. And yes, the architecture is fantastic.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:13 AM  

Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
Ugh.

It's really not that much of a mess.
I don't mean a mess as in its dirty, I mean it a mess as in its a city of renderings and ideas not much ever becomes reality.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:47 AM  

buffalo, ny
all lot of people with good ideas are voting with their feet and u-hauls.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:52 PM  

Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrewer View Post
all lot of people with good ideas are voting with their feet and u-hauls.

Yeah, while the same Jackholes get relected year after year. I know Carl wasn't popular but it would have been one hell of a shake up I think.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:26 PM  

Michigan
Almost every visit home my mother drives me around the city and
we soak it in. A lot of beautiful buildings. People from all over the world
visit just for that.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:20 PM  

Buffalo, NY
Unfortunately buffalo is just another victim of the decline in American manufacturing. Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland, and the like are all dying. These cities waited too long to change and now they are on the outside looking in. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the city, but it has a big uphill battle to climb. With extremely high taxes it is unlikely to come back anytime soon. And yes most of the great older buildings will be torn down for economic and safety reasons. If the Bills and/or Sabres ever leave Buffalo, it will be the last dagger for this city. Let's hope the powers that be can get smart and fix this mess.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:19 AM  

Everyone has recognized the problems but the reality is, poor, regressive, machine-politics has failed to right the ship for trhe last 4 or 5 decades. Keep voting for the Hoyts and Byron Browns and you get what you ask for.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Buffalo
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads