Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Buffalo
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2010, 08:57 PM  

Welland, ON
Minor League Baseball in Buffalo

The Buffalo Bisons are a AAA minor league baseball team that plays in Coca-Cola Field. They have renewed their Player Development Contract with the New York Mets through the 2012 season.

The food at Coca-Cola field is OK, for a ballpark. My complaint is the lack of variety in beer. Basically Bud and Blue (and their light versions).

If you are into baseball caps, Buffalo is the home of New Era caps, who make all baseball caps for Major League Baseball. You seen their in ads in several MLB dugouts. One of their 'flagship' stores is not far from Coca-Cola field. (BTW, they have no non-flagship stores.) We visited once, and were quite disappointed with the selection. If it ain't popular, they don't have it.

Steve

Old 09-20-2010, 09:34 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Thanks for the review Steve,

I wonder if this is the same league that the Rochester Redwings play in?

Old 09-21-2010, 07:37 AM  

Welland, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJ View Post
Thanks for the review Steve,

I wonder if this is the same league that the Rochester Redwings play in?
Yes it is, and there is a rivalry between the two teams, after all they are only an hour apart. The Syracuse Chiefs (keep going on the turnpike from Buffalo) are also in the same league (International Leagues cause there used to be a team (or two) in Canada).

BTW, much better selection of foods & beers at the Rochester ball park. We only made it to one Rochester game this year. It was in April and pretty cool that night. But not as bad as the next night in Binghamton.

Steve
Old 09-21-2010, 07:51 AM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
OK, I just googled it, I went to a few games in Indy, same league.. Kinda funny, been hearing radio ads for the Redwings and never made the connection.
Good relatively cheap fun. Like my fondness for minor league hockey, guys trying to prove something, big names in rehab ect..

We will definitely check out some games next season. I might be the only guy in Rochester rooting for Pawtucket..
Old 09-21-2010, 08:19 AM  

San Jose, Costa Rica
Not a fan of BB but excited to hear about Buffalo, i went to school there in the early 1908's. is this the old baseball park from the 1930's? i have a bit of trivia for you, it was used to film the Robert Redford movie THE NATURAL.

Keep in touch and drink good coffee!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:12 AM  

Buffalo, New york
I moved from Baltimore to Buffalo last year. I've gotta say it's sad not having a major league team like the Orioles in town. I used to walk to afternoon games from work! And it was always like $8 to see a cheap seat and never sold out, gotta love those last place orioles =)

I guess Minor league baseball is kind of like that, but I really miss that major league feel. I did go up to Toronto for 2 games and I really don't like the feel of that stadium as a ballpark. It feels more like a hockey arena to me, which isn't bad, persay, but it's not a baseball feel like Camden Yards!

Now hockey...that's another story!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:50 PM  

Rochester, New York
I'm a diehard Redwings fan....better field, better beer selection, and of course better at playing baseball lol

but seriously i've been to major league games and it just doesnt have that same down home feel to it. You can't beat the prices for minor league games and to me they play a better game of baseball
Old 10-17-2010, 08:44 AM  

Buffalo, New York
I need to make time to catch a few games next season for sure. Just seems my summer gets booked up by, oh some time in January!!!! I guess that's what you get by trying to cram a whole year of fun in three months
Old 10-18-2010, 12:14 PM  

North Collins, NY
You certainly can't beat the value. You can actually bring a family of four to the ballpark for a great afternoon and even buy some food for $60/70.
Can't do that at a Bills or Sabres game.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:51 PM  

Welland, ON
Anybody like to go to the Batavia Muckdogs games? We went to one in 2009, it was our first ever minor league game. Enjoyed it muchly. Great food down the right field line.

Didn't make any in 2010, they weren't playing when we wanted to go. Plus it's a short season league, they only play from mid-June to end of August.

Steve

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Buffalo
Bookmark this Page!