Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Buffalo
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 AM  

Buffalo, NY
Shale drilling for natural gas in Western NY.

this looks to be next coming to Western NY.......not happy

Old 01-08-2011, 06:05 AM  

Clarence, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scobar View Post
There is already a lot of gas wells in the southerntier... My grandparents have one well and it produces wayyyy more gas than they can use (They own a farm). Natural gas wells are not bad, but the "frac'ing" technique is really bad for the earth and the wells and needs to be stopped. It is nothing but bad.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:40 AM  

Buffalo, NY
I see the gover. (Patterson) but a stop on it till May I believe. I am going to my town hall board meeting Wednesday to voice concern on the issue. I think we need to very proactive on this because most town codes or local laws have nothing regarding this action.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:56 PM  
Supporting Member

Rochester, NY
I'm largely uneducated on this subject and I don't think I need to know any of it. I feel this is a very bad thing. I don't care what the science says - common sense tells me that this can only lead to trouble. I have nothing to support my feelings other than a history of humans screwing up the world.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 PM  

SW Florida
Quote:

Any idea what area this would start in ?

Old 01-14-2011, 04:54 AM  

Clarence, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by 39acOrange View Post

Any idea what area this would start in ?

It is already here, it is all over the southerntier, with some wells in the northtowns... Don't worry about normal vertical wells, it is the horizontal frac'ing that needs to stop.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:28 AM  

Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf1994 View Post
It is already here, it is all over the southerntier, with some wells in the northtowns... Don't worry about normal vertical wells, it is the horizontal frac'ing that needs to stop.
yes vertical drilling has been active for many years and with no ill effects. The problem with the horizontal and fracking is they use chemicals to speed the process up. What they actually do is send great amounts of pressure and chemicals underground to open as many veins in the shale as possible. That in turns allows the gas to move up and out of the well. This creates a slurry of bad by-products. It has been proven to be contaminating water wells. I live with well water as do most people in the rural areas, hence my concern.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:56 AM  

SW Florida
Quote:
... Don't worry about normal vertical wells, it is the horizontal frac'ing that needs to stop.

Yes, it's the horizontal work I was wondering about.
What bothers me is the fact that there are certain wealthy individuals who own vast acreage all over the Southern-tier (but they don't live anywhere near it) and could care less what becomes of the land, just so they make money off of it.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:07 AM  

SW Florida
Quote:
Quote:
...... the "frac'ing" technique is really bad for the earth and the wells and needs to be stopped. It is nothing but bad.

Thanks for making me more aware of this form of 'drilling'. I noticed this site :

Seeps, leaks and spills | Photos of pollution from natural gas drilling

You're right, nothing but bad......

Old 01-17-2011, 09:04 AM  

Buffalo, NY
where starting ??

Quote:
I do know for a fact that residents on Vermont Hill rd in South Wales (Erie County)were contacted for this type of gas drilling. I do not know the name of who contacted them

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Buffalo
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads