Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Buffalo
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2011, 07:19 AM  

fracking or no fracking, when people are drilling for money, and money alone, do you think they give a crap about anything else? we live in a greedy money hungry economy. laws are made to keep people in the dark and appease the greedy, give them a few pennies and the heads go in the sand. Oh well, lucky the new generation will be educated and disciplined!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 PM  

Clarence, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardman_harry View Post
fracking or no fracking, when people are drilling for money, and money alone, do you think they give a crap about anything else? we live in a greedy money hungry economy. laws are made to keep people in the dark and appease the greedy, give them a few pennies and the heads go in the sand. Oh well, lucky the new generation will be educated and disciplined!
My grandparents' well is for their farm and their house. Not for the gas company. They have a Tennessee Gas pipeline that goes through their property that blew up in the late seventies/early eighties. They asked for and received ~$36k in damages for crops and fields destroyed/shingles that melted on their house. They built their new house and drilled the gas well with the money. [That was a weird tangent to go off on, sorry...] The point is, not every person is drilling for money. Some drill just to get by in life, to live off grid. Let the private homeowner drill all they want, but don't let these companies that drill for gas to be sold for corporate profit touch our ground.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 PM  
Traveler

Probably Haliburton. You guys need to see the documentary called Gasland. It really is an eye opener. Too bad that man screws up the two things essential for our survival. Water and air.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 AM  

Buffalo, NY
there is a meeting this Sunday 2-20 with some experts on the topic. East Aurora, 300 Gleed ave. 2PM where the old school is.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:38 AM  

i hope this works out in our favor
Old 02-21-2011, 11:50 AM  
Traveler

Here in North Idaho, the local polulation beat out the Asarco mine and prevented them from building their mine and polluting our water. If you get people to rally against it, you have a chance.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 AM  

Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
Here in North Idaho, the local polulation beat out the Asarco mine and prevented them from building their mine and polluting our water. If you get people to rally against it, you have a chance.
the meeting last week was standing room only, so I think there will be a strong movement to oppose it. Many people in my town (Holland) are caught in a 99 year lease that National Fuel has the mineral rights under ground. I for one bought my home 12 years ago and it (lease) was in place. Not sure what it means, but I believe it may mean that if they want to drill & frack they can
Old 02-25-2011, 11:33 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf1994 View Post
There is already a lot of gas wells in the southerntier... My grandparents have one well and it produces wayyyy more gas than they can use (They own a farm). Natural gas wells are not bad, but the "frac'ing" technique is really bad for the earth and the wells and needs to be stopped. It is nothing but bad.
It looked good initially but now entire communities have tainted aquifers.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:55 AM  

Let's not fail to mention that everyone's new "savior" Terry Pegula was one of the worst gas hydro-fracking pollution offenders in Pennsylvania. I'm glad he's putting money into the team, I love hockey and the Sabres, but his fortune was built on a lot of polluted farms and wells.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:59 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Oklahoma entities launch online hydraulic fracturing registry: FracFocus.org
Two Oklahoma City-based entities have launched an online registry for oil and natural gas companies to disclose the chemicals used in their hydraulic fracturing operations.

Read more: Oklahoma entities launch online hydraulic fracturing registry: FracFocus.org | NewsOK.com

Quote:
Curious what Chesapeake Energy Corp. is pumping into the ground to get natural gas from its Big Dawg well in Woods County?

Read more: Oklahoma entities launch online hydraulic fracturing registry: FracFocus.org | NewsOK.com
Want to know what chemicals Devon Energy Corp. used in its hydraulic fracturing operations in Coal County?
Now no one has to ask, thanks to a new website ? FracFocus.org ? launched Monday by the Ground Water Protection Council and Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission.
The searchable site allows visitors to look up the chemicals used on wells in their area, while offering a wealth of information about the process industry officials say has been instrumental in triggering a revolution in oil and gas production.
They also maintain hydraulic fracturing does not pose a threat to groundwater, as alleged by opponents.
?As more and more questions were asked about the hydraulic fracturing process the past couple of years ? particularly relating to chemical additives used in the process ? we recognized an obstacle to greater disclosure was the lack of a uniform and efficient way to collect, report, and ensure public access,? said Mike Paque, executive director of the Ground Water Protection Council. ?Information about additives used in the process was widely distributed, but difficult to access.?
Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission Executive Director Mike Smith said states have regulated hydraulic fracturing for more than 50 years, but there was no easy way for people to find information about the process and chemicals used in it.
?The website will be a useful new tool to help the public learn about the hydraulic fracturing process,? he said. ?Our organizations have a responsibility to keep the public informed. We see this site as a step forward, and we expect it will evolve even more in the future.?

Quote:
A new website purporting to show the chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing operations went live on Monday, and the proponents are hoping critics of the industry will make use of it.

?Hydraulic fracturing in Western Colorado has resulted in ongoing concern and reasonable questions from local communities,? said David Ludlam, executive director of the Western Slope Colorado Oil and Gas Association in Grand Junction.

?This tool will go a long way to help ease those concerns and clear up some misunderstandings about hydraulic fracturing technology,? he said.

Hydraulic fracturing, or ?fracking,? involves the injection of massive amounts of water, sand and chemicals into well bores, in order to break up deeply buried rock formations and permit gas and oil to flow freely to the surface.

The website, located at Home | FracFocus Chemical Disclosure Registry on the Internet, offers information that is submitted by gas companies voluntarily, according to a written statement on the new service.
New website is said to disclose chemicals used in fracking ops | PostIndependent.com

APRIL 12, 2011

Oil industry pillories Cornell natural gas study

Barnett Shale: Oil industry pillories Cornell natural gas study

Quote:
The American Petroleum Institute, which represents more than 470 oil and gas companies, has come out with guns blazing today in response to a study by Cornell University professors contending that huge volumes of natural gas leak into the atmosphere and contribute substantially to global warming.

Extracting gas from shale formations using hydraulic fracturing generates more greenhouse gas emissions than burning coal, according to the study by Professors Robert Howarth, Renee Santoro and Anthony Ingraffea.

"This study lacks credibility and is full of contradictions," said Russell Jones, API's senior economic adviser, in a statement today. "The main author (Howarth) is an evolutionary biologist and an anti-natural gas activitist who is not credentialed to do this kind of chemical analysis.

"In supporting data, the authors admit that the data used was of very low quality," Jones continued. "This study is really an exercise in selective data and manipulated methodologies used to reach conclusions that deliberately contradict mainstream science."

The study also was verbally assailed in a commentary, "Five Things To Know About The Cornell Shale Study," on the website of Energy In Depth, which is supported by energy companies including large natural gas producers.

Read more: Barnett Shale: Oil industry pillories Cornell natural gas study
Shale drilling for natural gas in Western NY.-frac-diagram-5.jpg 

Shale drilling for natural gas in Western NY.-fracing.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Buffalo
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads