Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Buffalo
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2011, 05:14 AM  

Olean, New York
We are more than the Bills, Wings, and Snow

I have enjoyed the threads here so far. However, anyone coming to look at the forum would be forgiven for thinking that, true to stereotype, the only things going on in Buffalo are the ongoing tragedy of our football team, an obsession with Wings, and lots and lots of snow.

What other things do you think Buffalo should be know for? I want to hear about those hidden treasures around Buffalo. If you were on the Tourism Board, what do you think people should know about Buffalo?

I would have to say the incredibly diverse, accessible small theater scene is right up there at the top of my list. As a teen and young adult I was lucky enough to live in a city where there are a bunch of small theater troupes that put on great shows that are affordable. After several of them I was even able to go out for a bite to eat with some of the actors, a very rewarding experience. Studio Arena and Alleyway Theater were just a few of the great companies I was able to see.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:18 PM  

Buffalo, NY
I think there is some great architecture in the city. Such as the Ellicott Square building, HH Richardson Complex just to name a couple. I think we have an exciting night life as well and several great entertainment venues.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:45 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Old 03-04-2011, 08:13 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Ooooh! My favorite team!!
JK
Old 03-04-2011, 08:41 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York

Does this work a little better?
Old 06-14-2011, 05:26 PM  

SW Florida

LOL, sound of crickets chirping ......

Old 06-17-2011, 12:50 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I would have to say the incredibly diverse, accessible small theater scene is right up there at the top of my list. As a teen and young adult I was lucky enough to live in a city where there are a bunch of small theater troupes that put on great shows that are affordable.
On shopping around Oregon for a place to settle I spent two weeks in Newport checking possibilities. Being a seasonal coastal town it only brings in tourists to watch the winter storms. Most of the year Newport is slow and a bit chilly because the wind never stops.
I made friends with some trivia players who were all transplants from Portland and very into 5 local theater troupes. Buffalo is lucky to have seen the same possibilities. It can be fun.

Many years back while living in Reading PA a local Inn had a closed party for regulars (and friends) for the Buffalo- Dallas Game. For $10 we ate like kings in a room filled with TV's.
I became a Dallas fan by way of pity since my then favorite Packers used to clobber Dallas each year in the playoffs. That year the Super Bowl was all Dallas and after another score I went to the bar for a drink. I was watching the kickoff on a small screen as I and another gentleman waited for our drinks. Buffalo fumbled I think and Dallas scored off the fumble. Without thinking I said, "YES!".
The guy next to me sez, "you and me in the parking lot right now!"
That was how I met a Buffalo fan and realized you folks need another big sport in town. Hockey is nice.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Buffalo
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads