Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Business / Investing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2011, 08:55 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
Borders closing

I knew it would eventually happen, but even so, I was near tears when I read last week that Borders was closing all of its stores.
Two of the reasons I'm unhappy are convenience and discount coupons.
There are Barnes & Noble bookstores plus a Joseph-Beth in the city where I live, but they are on the other side of town and not very convenient to get to. Also, Borders and Waldenbooks always had discount coupons, but I seldom see them for B&N and JB.
In the past 10 years, near where I live, the following bookstores closed--Media Play, Little Professor, Borders, and the B Dalton and Waldenbooks in the closest enclosed mall. I am wondering if the nearby freestanding Waldenbooks store (which was there long before it was taken over by Borders) will continue to remain open. If it closes all that will be left are two Book Racks and a Half-Price Books and the occasional religious gift shop.
I know that many people are buying books over the Internet now, or even just downloading digital versions. But nothing will ever take the place of going to a bookstore just to browse and walk past the shelves. I feel as if a big part of my life is dying.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:02 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Times are changing.

I would rather buy a book from amazon for 1/3 the price of B&N, Borders ect....

With eReaders not very popular I would much ratehr download them than buy a book anyways. Sure book cases filled with the book you have read over the years is nice and impressive I just don't all the space I would like for a library in my home. Have you thought about a library? Even those are going to go by the wayside soon. I know my local library is nothing more than free daycare. You can't even sit and read in peace in there the kids are so loud. What ever happened to a librarian coming over and saying you're gonna leave if I hear you talking again?

I do understand that it is just nice to go and look at the books at a nice book store.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:23 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
the library

I go to the library at least once a week. In fact, I was there after work this evening returning a book I had just finished reading.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:56 PM  
Ric

Denver, Colorado
damn, I was hoping you meant the US/Mexico border lol
Old 08-01-2011, 09:25 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
damn, I was hoping you meant the US/Mexico border lol
+1

I always go to half.com, maybe boarders wouldn't be closing if they weren't so
ridiculously expensive. I went there once and after I saw their prices I never
set foot in there again.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:45 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Sure book cases filled with the book you have read over the years is nice and impressive I just don't all the space I would like for a library in my home.
Once there was little choice. I saved every good book I read into my thirties. A move that involved many stairs got me evil looks from my friends who soon noticed half my possessions were books.

I cut way back but by 2000 I'd given away all but two dozen books. Now I have 450 books on a skinny little Kindle. I loved libraries but they're going to change or die.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Business / Investing
Bookmark this Page!